www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:22 am 

So, I'm a bedwetter, and hence I only wear diapers at night. I'm also on several antihypertensives that compound the issue by increasing output. I wear cloth, because abena are too expensive for regular use, and nothing else I've tried is absorbent enough.

I bought a pair of leakmaster PUL pants for use over my diapers back in October, and so far they have been great except ... the side seams wick badly. The problem seems to be that the manufacturer folded the material in, cloth to cloth, to create a clean looking seam from the outside. Everything, I've seen says you have to make seams in PUL laminate to laminate is order to create a seal.

I'm looking for a way to fix it. Anyone ever tried?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:03 pm 

Hey MSUSpartin

I have just recently switched to cloth and I am using the Garywear Active Brief which is also a PUL type. I have not had one problem with them yet. I have actually wore them for up to 13 hours. You should try one and see if they might work better for you.

Rope

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:44 pm 

I would suggest contacting the supplier you bought them from to see if they would replace them because they don't work. I had personally heard a lot of good things about the Leakmaster and I am surprised to hear this. I would hope the company is honest enough to at least offer you a credit.

"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise." -
Gore Vidal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:00 pm 

Hey, I just took a minute to look at the Leakmaster PUL and noticed one very big differance, the Gearwear PUL has forward facing leg openings. this is one of the features I have liked the best. Because of this it is more comfortable and has a more natural fit. food for thought.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:25 am 

I actually got these because I was annoyed by their vinyl heavy duty pants getting brittle and cracking prematurely. They said their warranty is only 30 days, but they offered me a discount instead.

Can someone describe the seams on the garywear product to me?

It's irritating that if I sleep on my side I often get a wet line down the seam, and if I really get saturated I get wet patches on both sides.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:41 am 

Good morning MSUSpartan,

The cuffs around the waist and legs are made the same way. There is soft, fabric side(the outside) and a coated side(inside). When they stitch the legs and waist they fold it from the inside out so the entire cuff has an exposed layer of the PUL(the coated side). The elastic is inside the cuff so you it never comes in contact with the skin. I like this design because when I tuck the cuffs in, the PUL makes a great seal against the skin.
As for the seams on the sides, it looks like it is stitched soft cloth side to cloth side but it is also double stitched. There is a thick stitch that ties the ends together and then the second one about an 1/8 of an inch again. The entire brief is made from one piece that it is only sown on the sides. There is no seam between the legs. I have NEVER leaked on the sides and I am happy to say I am able to sleep on my sides again after a few years of only back or belly.

Does that answer your question? If you would like, PM me an email address and I will send you pictures of the seams and anything else you need.

Rope

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:22 am 

I think that answers my question. The construction sounds pretty much identical to the leak master product. I don't know why I'm having such an issue.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:52 pm 

I've used the Gary wear pants. For the most part they have worked. I've used them about three weeks now. I had them leak out the back two days ago. I think there must have been a tear in the diaper. Somewhere though because the inside was not super wet but the outside was.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:43 pm 

I find the GaryWear Active Briefs to work for me over good quality disposables, and they are more comfortable than most coverpants. They are also machine washable, which for me is a plus. However, I have not had luck with them over cloth. For some reason, which I have still not figured out, even though it is the correct size, it balloons out in the front and is not high up enough in the back, so they leak even though the waist and legs are appropriately tight. As a result, I don't use cloth as much as I once hoped.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:31 pm 

The website explains that they were made to cover disposables. They were not designed for cloth. So that may be why you haven't had luck with cloth diapers.

Last edited by MightyChipmunk on Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.