www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:40 pm 
Admin

Maybe the bloomer pants might work well for at night, can't see them being too useful in the daytime? :? Puffy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:17 pm 

You have to understand that over the disposable wrap-around briefs .. or if you wish .. over the disposable pull-up briefs or disposable underwear .. and I use all of these options .. I wear one but usually two pair of cotton knee-pants that extend down to just above my knees. So leakage if any will be absorbed by the cotton knee pants or cotton bloomers as you like (the two terms for the same product). Then I wear the plastic knee-pants which are necessary to prevent the (if there is leakage from the briefs) wet cotton pants from getting outer clothing wet.

It has been my considerable experience (MANY DECADES if you need to know) that when I am sitting down .. driving a vehicle .. at a movie .. you-name-it .. at a library computer .. when I used to wear plastic briefs they inevitably leaked at the leg bands because when sitting down the disposable pads do not want to carry the liquid up into the body of the pad IF they have already been wet. So IF leakage happens .. with the plastic bloomers down to my knees there is NEVER EVER A PROBLEM of getting my outer clothing wet unless I have failed to change the pads when I knew I needed to do so. This has happened during severe winter driving when I could NOT stop to change. But then the leakage was below my knees and NOT into the car seat. The cotton knee pants have FAR MORE absorbent capacity than the thin cotton boxer shorts I read some of you using.

NO I have not found this system particularly hot nor uncomfortable. You may think that the plastic briefs will help to hold a wet pad in place better than bloomer pants. I sometimes use a spandex control brief to do that job and they work excellently. I do not want to even-think-about-leakage. I fly long-haul international air flights of up to 15-hours and travel extensively internationally.

I DO have some plastic briefs but they are sized large enough that the leg bands are down my leg slightly.

And I do NOT always wear plastic overpants of any design (brief .. bloomer ..). IF I am making a short trip out I do NOT need the added protection of overpants since the wrap around briefs or the pull up underwear with booster pads work just fine for up to several hours. Best Wishes ..

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:27 am 

I usually use just a disposable diaper during the day and have not had a problem with leaks. I wear Tena Super, the one with the highest absorbing rate during the day and have been wearing A+ with a terry lined plastic panty at night. If I am in pants during the day, I sometimes wear a cotton panty over my diaper to reduce diaper bulge. I've had leaks at night with a Tena Super and Abrifrom booster, the largest XP Medical sells, even with a plastic panty, so I changed to a heavier night diaper.
Diane

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:03 pm 
Admin

Welcome Diane, nice to have another lady join the forum. I also use the Tena Supers, easiest to buy local, and avoid shipping, but am looking at other options for at night besides cloth, which I also use in rotation with disposables. Puffy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:10 pm 

Hello, this is my first post. My husband has Alzheimer's and within the past 2 or 3 months has begun to sleep through the night, which is good for both of us. However, the wetting can sometimes extend from up near his armpits down almost to his knees. I have protective bedding in place that's working to keep the mattress dry. I don't mind a small load of laundry each morning containing his PJs and bath sheet that I place over the chux, etc. But with winter coming I don't want him to get a chill when I have to strip him and wash him down in the mornings and have to wash down nearly his whole body.

I've tried various disposables with inserts, some double diapering, and of course they all leak. Sometimes bypassing the 2nd diaper totally. I finally ordered some pull-up cloth diapers (I'm not sure he would cooperate with the pin-on diapers at this stage) and some of their higher waisted plastic pants from Kins. They should arrive in a few days. I was planning on putting on the cotton diaper first, followed by the disposable diaper, and then the plastic pants. However, I understand after reading here that I should first put the disposable, then the cloth diaper, and then the plastic pants?? Can someone explain the theory behind this? Thank you, I appreciate the information on this website.

Katrinka

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:31 pm 

Katrinka,

The idea is that the disposable will fill to whatever capacity it has first and any leaks will be caught by the cloth diaper. Since then the cloth diaper is not waterproof, it would require a cover or plastic pants to keep the sheets dry. With this set up the cloth diaper will catch anything that leaks out no matter what position he sleeps in as some disposables are prone to leaking in certain positions. I don't think you will have too many leaking problems with this setup.

"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise." -
Gore Vidal

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:32 pm 

Katrinka, Try the pin on cloth, start with one night weight and go to two if need be. You will be washing less and be very pleased with the results. Papa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:58 pm 

Thanks for the clarification. I'm looking forward to trying out his new underwear when it arrives!

Katrinka

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:22 am 
Admin

Welcome Katrinka, I hope we can be as helpful as possible in assisting you in dealing with the issues that you have come up against with your husbands illness. He is fortunate to have such a terrific spouse in all of this, some would not be as tolerant of dealing with incontinence in the bed they sleep in, let alone deal with diapers and the such, good on ya! :D Anything else, feel free to ask, and do let us know how it works out for you with the cloth and disposable set-up, Puffy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:10 am 

Katrinka wrote:
I've tried various disposables with inserts, some double diapering, and of course they all leak. Sometimes bypassing the 2nd diaper totally.

I'm going to venture a guess ... you didn't cut the backing on the first disposable?