www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:46 am 

Plastic pants over disposables don't really stop leaks unless you have something else in between. I use cotton boxer shorts over the diaper and plastic pants over the lot. I tuck the boxers into the plastic pants so nothing is outside them. This means that any leak goes into the boxers and stops it going through the legs of the plastic pants or the side poppers.
The down side is this is a bit bulky and you may need two or three pairs of boxers a day if they do get wet.
I am only given enough diapers for me to wear four per day which is not enough for me but I am not complaining because they are free and I know lots of people have to buy.
I do buy booster inserts to get more use out of the diaper.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:27 pm 

I've tried garywear active wear at night. They seem to do a good job of protecting over small leaks. They will protect on larger leaks too. However they give me a nasty rash on those. I'm looking into some kind of pant that has a cloth liner so that the leak is not laying against my skin. I use ATN with a booster at night.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:38 pm 

Thanks for that I hope you find something good for night time use. The trouble is every time I think I have found the perfect combination it all goes horribly wrong with wet sheets. :(

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:56 pm 
Admin

I believe that Kins has what you may be looking for, a lined coverpant to catch any leaks. I have not used them, I just wear underwear in between, but if you want to havve a look, they are here... http://www.babykins.com/store/terry-lined-plastic-pants/ Hope that helps, Puffy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:46 pm 

I actually have a pair of those lined pants, and I'd highly recommend the polyester version. They're durable, though not all that discreet. They're great for nighttime use over a disposable for all the reasons listed here.

But there is something to be said for using separate layers for absorption and protection. Again, the pants here are well built, but you're always going to run into trouble when you've got something that needs just a few moments in the dryer sewn together with something that needs much longer.

Consequently, I typically put a pair of snug-fitting underwear over a disposable, and then waterproof pants over that. I've found that combination works best for me.

-RMS

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:32 pm 

I have actual experience with the KINS terry lined plastic pants. THE PROBLEM with them .. be they terry lined plastic pants or terry lined polyester pants .. take your choice .. THE PROBLEM with them is washing and drying them. IF you use cotton briefs or boxers or cotton knee pants (cotton bloomers) to intercept leakage from a disposable brief .. it is a relative snap to wash the cotton boxers or briefs or knee pants. NOT so with a load of plastic or polyester terry lined pants. The plastic keeps them from properly and thoroughly spin-drying after the wash/rinse cycles and to have a large inventory of them is just not practical. It is far easier to have them separate .. plastic over pants and absorbent cotton underwear. IN fact the terry lined plastic pants from KINS gave to me the idea to put cotton briefs/boxers/knee pants over the disposable briefs and under the plastic over pants. IN FACT I had KINS manufacture for me three dozen pair of JUST PLAIN TERRY CLOTH BRIEFS. I can NOT possibly overstate how helpful and cooperative and supportive the staff at KINS is. On a zero (worst) to ten (best) rating scale .. KINS ranks about FIFTY (50)!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:12 am 

Thanks to all for some very helpful advice. That is what I value most about this forum.

Recently I had a bedwetting incident despite wearing a good quality high-absorbency disposable with a medium-capacity doubler plus plastic pants. I now am trying wearing cotton underpants between the diaper and plastic pants. If that does not work I will try wearing a cloth diaper over the disposable, covered by plastic pants.

--John

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:13 pm 

John .. at some point you may want to try the knee-length plastic overpants .. also called bloomers .. they in the final analysis work the best for me .. good luck. Under the plastic knee-length overpants and on top of the disposable wrap-around-briefs I also use cotton knee pants for absorbtion .. usually two pairs of the cotton knee-pants .. again .. good luck. Like others here I also use booster pads inside the disposable wrap-around-briefs as well.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:46 am 

I have to say, Tewi, that I've never understood the point of knee-length plastic pants. Maybe you can enlighten me (us?).

Plastic pants work by catching leaks. They're able to do this because the leg gathers, the shape, and the wide crotch form a cup that holds moisture in. I have always recommended having an absorbent layer between a disposable diaper and the waterproof pant, to catch the urine before it finds a way out (which it always seems to with me).

But the knickers-style pants don't have that. Why don't they just leak out at the leg bands? I can sure see the advantage for nighttime use, though I imagine they'd be incredibly hot, but for daytime use? I must be missing something.

-RMS

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:40 am 

We really need to petition schoppy for a "like" button or feature. "Liked"

I have often wondered the same thing. The only then I can can figure is the actual cuff around the leg is left higher then the bottom of the bloomer creating a cup to catch liquids. Only issue is there is nothing to soak it up later meaning sooner or later, it will leak.