www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 5:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:24 am 

As I think about moving to cloth diapers when at home, I hate to add that extra laundry load onto my wife. Has anyone ever used a diaper service and how has it worked out for you?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:27 am 

Hey WetDad,

I have not used a diaper service but have looked into them. Some will do adult diapers but most are just for baby diapers still. I'm not sure where you are or if there are any around you that will do adult diapers for you but it might be worth looking into. I am sure they would be respectful if they are offering that service.

I have switched to cloth diapers over disposables. I decided that I would take care of laundering my own diapers for two reasons. 1. because like you I didn't want to add that to her. 2. she doesn't know how to properly care for them at times. For me, it was just easier to take that responsability on myself.

"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise." -
Gore Vidal

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:30 am 

I'm using a diaper service company now to launder my cloth diapers. I was using a combination of disposables, (Abena M4), and cloth diapers before, but for reasons unknown, my skin developed a reaction to the chemicals used in the manufacturing of disposables and it was not just with the Abena brand diapers. I tried different brand disposables and still got the same skin reaction.

Story short, the dermatologist suggested I use cloth diapers as much as possible. I have a Rx for two different types of cream, and powder, but even with the use of the special Rx cream, and powder after about 3 days of wearing disposables my skin starts to break out as a reaction to the disposables. IAt the time, I was using a combination of disposables, and cloth and had to switch to using cloth full time to avoid having any more skin irritation.

I DON'T have very much bulk wearing the cloth diapers under my clothes. So often the amount of bulk shown when wearing cloth diapers depends on many different things to include the type of cloth diaper worn, and the plasic pant/diaper cover used. The amount of bulk I have is so minor the diaper is NOT noticeable and I wear very absorbent cloth diaper under my clothes. There are many reasons why people wear cloth diapers in lieu of disposables, but like I've always said,....use whatever works best for you. In part, the key to less bulk when wearing cloth diapers is wearing a "quality" cloth diaper. Cheaply made cloths diaper are not very absorbent and the only way to make them more absorbent is to add liners/pads which just adds to the having more bulk. All I can recommend to anyone that wants to use cloth diapers is to ONLY buy "quality" cloth diapers that fit your needs.

Anyone that wants the use of a diaper service in lieu of washing, and dring diapers at home will need to check in your local area to find out if there are any diaper service companies, OR possibly a laundry service that is cabable of laundring adult cloth diapers. There might be some baby diaper service companies that rent adult diapers just like they do with baby diapers. The diaper service company that I use DOES NOT provide/rent adult cloth diapers. The company I use ONLY provides the laundry service to the diapers I own, and provide. I was washing diapers twice a week before I started using the diaper service and because I am double incon, (bowel, & bladder incontinent) washing diapers twice a week was not anything I looked forward to doing for all the obvious reasons. Just like any laundry service company they pick-up, and deliver once a week, but unless your local company rents adult size cloth diapers you will need to provide your own cloth diapers.

I use about 4 diapers per day, and the cost for this laundry service (pick-up, & deliver included) is $19 per week. Do the math if you don't want to wash diapers. I was washing diapers twice a week so I figure it cost about $9.50 per to let a professional laundry service, (diaper service) wash, dry, and deliver. If I wasn't bowel incon it would still be a hassle to wash diapers, but being bowel incon and washing your own diapers in the same washing machine as you was other cloth in is something I would rather not do plus have all the hassle of washing diapers twice a week.

Hope this helps.