www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Works for me, always.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:16 am 

I wore cloth diapers all the time but decided to try disposables and now wear them exclusively. I sleep on my side and had the leak issue to contend with after the "changeover". I wear Abena X-Plus, a size larger than I really need. The wings from the front extend back to the padding at the back of the diaper, to give you an idea of the size/fit. Leaks flow around to the back of the diaper. Over the top of these I wear a pant from Kins, or Babykins - for years I bought my prefolds and plastic pants from them.
This over-pant is a polyester fabric covered in vinyl, with a terry-cloth insert sewn to the 1" waistband. The terry liner is not attached at the legs and so it doesn't wick. Anything that leaks from the disposable gets absorbed by the overpant. These, too, are about a size larger than I need or might otherwise use. I have never, ever, had a leak that got beyond this combination. Often there are no leaks beyond the disposable, most of the time, in fact. Anything else gets caught in the overpant. Always, without exception.
I have peace of mind and don't sleep with "one eye open." Well, not quite true, but I'm getting there! It really is nice not to have to be concerned. Oh, I recommend the polyester pant, rather than the vinyl. It's very durable and will last until it gets hard and brittle from use, rather then tearing or ripping first. I have an "inventory" of 4 and wash 'em once a week.

Post subject: Welcome Paul!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:07 am 

Welcome, Paul! I am surprised that you've gone the opposite way of so many; from wearing cloth to wearing disposables, especially at night! Most wear disposables and contend with night leaks until they try cloth overnight. Your solution with the larger disposable may be a boon to many even if they still don't want any cloth or the laundry that goes with cloth.

Good input about wearing cloth diapering over a disposable diaper to contend with leaks from sleeping on your side. Interesting too, is the idea of wearing a larger than needed disposable-which is a current thread on the other incon board that I invite you to join.

I'll post the URL in the next message.

JoeK

Post subject: Yahoo Group; Adult Incon
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:13 am 

Here is the URL for the Yahoo Group:

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/AdultIncon/

You must apply for membership that will include writing a short introductory note to the Group. In a few days, typically, you will be admitted and then can join us in an ongoing and lively discussion every day!

Visit this and the other site every day and you will be kept well informed and can contribute as much as you wish! Enjoy the friendships at both boards!

JoeK here and JoeS there.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:16 am 

Paul,
When I travel and have to use disposables, I always wear a pull up cloth diaper over the disposable and then a pair of plastic pants. I leak terribly wearing only a disposable at night. I agree with Joe that it is a little unusual to start with cloth and then to disposable. It's your way, though, Paul and any way you like it, it's the best way for you. Go for it! ........Paul(Martin)

Post subject: protection
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:02 pm 

Hi All was reading the latest posts.Would add that I bought some new plastic pull up pants from acd they have worked very well as I'am a side sleeper and they have not leaked.

Post subject: ACD's Plastic Pants
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:58 pm 

Hey Ron,
Good to hear from you again. I've been checking out getting some new diapers from ACD and did notice their new stuff. I just ordered some cloth diapers(gauze flat pre-fold) to take advantage of their 15% discount till the end of the year. Great company! ............Paul Martin

Last edited by Paul Martin on Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:46 am 

I've found that disposables hold the urine in place better than cloth diapers and take it up more quickly. Too, they feel dryer against my skin and I've had less problems with rash.
I would be tempted to try cloth diapers again if I could find some flat diapers 72" x 36". Washing and drying prefolds takes too much time in the machines. Maybe pull-on would be better, in terms of leaks and holding - the prefolds don't cover well on the sides.
The solution of wearing a lined plastic pant over the disposable is bulletproof, not to mention urine! It's very nice not to have to worry, leaks are no concern any more. Even if I did go back to cloth diapers and plastic pants, I would still wear this lined pant as a cover, for I've had leaks with cloth diapers, too.
Here's a link to the site where I buy them (I have no financial interest in this whatsoever.)
http://www.babykins.com/Merchant2/merch ... y_Code=KWP
Good luck, see you in the forum.

Post subject: Pull-on all in one's
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:02 am 

Paul!
Thanks for the info in your post! You're right about those lined plastic pants. The link to Babykin's is the best I've seen. It's tough finding a flat diaper that provides good side protection. The pull-on type dapers are better for that type protection.

I mostly wear a flat diaper at night, but I use some baby diaper inserts to give me better protection. The crotch area is built up enough that I don't get leakage. Now if I were to keep on my side too long, I most likely would leak.

If I find a pre-fold that fits the size you're looking for, I'll let you know.
Thank's again for your post, Paul!! .......Paul Martin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:08 am 

I have just recently started to experience bedwetting (Urge incon).

Up until now I have been using TENA slip for protection but I get major leaks and have had such a dozen times by now, pretty embarrassing when your wife suggest you start wearing other types of protection , back :oops:

I'm not into wearing cloth diapers since there’s already a large pile of laundry so no need of adding more to that, so for now I have to stick with disposable - the two brands I have considered using for nighttime are either Abena X-plus or Molicare super plus.

I have tried both for daytime and they (in my opinion) have good absorbency together with having good padding in the wings (way too bulky for public daytime use).
since I live in Europe I don’t have ready access to dry 24/7.

Besides Abena X-plus and Molicare super plus are there other brands which either are just as good or even better?

I tend to try the molicare first, since that one is a bit cheaper than the Abena and wick away moisture rather quickly.

Daytime use is Tena Maxi slip together with a booster – that combo works good, just not for nighttime, since Tena lacks padding in the front and absorbs too slowly.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:15 am 

You have already mentioned the two diapers I rely on for overnight wear. I agree the Molicare wicks well and I think that contributes to good overnight protection, even for side sleepers.

have a look at Gary's XP Medical site; his diaper testing page. It is full of useful information to include total capacity numbers for all the "good" diapers along with padding dimensions. Side sleepers need a diaper with padding extending as far as possible into the side wings of the diaper. The best in that regard is the Attends Extended Wear with a padding width of 15" in both front and rear!