www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Overnight side leakage
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:02 am 

Hi folks,
This is NOT a problem for me; I wear cloth diapers and plastic pants so never have a wet bed. But many folks do not have a cloth diaper option and have to depend on disposable diapers.

We all know disposables are notorious for side leaks at night. A guy posted a question on the Adult Incon (Yahoo groups) forum and I offered some ideas that I've seen here, wrapping something like a towel around your diapered waist and pull plastic pants over that. I also threw out pulling cotton underwear on over the diaper and covering the underwear with plastic pants.

I am re-introducing the question to you folks who wear disposable diapers to bed and if you sleep on your side, what tricks have you to offer to prevent side leaks and the wet bed associated with them?

Joe K

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:25 pm 

Hmm. I've often read about people having leaks when they sleep on their side while wearing a disposable diaper. However, for some reason, it isn't a problem for me even though I normally go to sleep while lying on my side and often wake up on my side. Maybe at least part of the answer is that I wear an Abena X-Plus at night. The Abena X-Plus is probably the most absorbent diaper on the market; and it contains a rather large leak guard that would tend to prevent moisture running out the side of the diaper and direct it into the absorbent pad even if I were on my side. Alternatively, maybe I've somehow trained myself to turn onto my back or stomach when I wet. Usually, most of the moisture ends up in the front of the diaper, which suggests that I might be wetting while sleeping on my stomach.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:53 am 

JoeK wrote:
Hi folks,
This is NOT a problem for me; I wear cloth diapers and plastic pants so never have a wet bed. But many folks do not have a cloth diaper option and have to depend on disposable diapers.

We all know disposables are notorious for side leaks at night. A guy posted a question on the Adult Incon (Yahoo groups) forum and I offered some ideas that I've seen here, wrapping something like a towel around your diapered waist and pull plastic pants over that. I also threw out pulling cotton underwear on over the diaper and covering the underwear with plastic pants.

I am re-introducing the question to you folks who wear disposable diapers to bed and if you sleep on your side, what tricks have you to offer to prevent side leaks and the wet bed associated with them?

Joe K

HI I USES A TENA OVER NIGHT DIAPER PUT A CLOTH BABY DIAPER INSIDE FOLDED TO MAKE A BOSTER. LAY ON YOUR BACK.FRONT SIDE WILL NOT MATER IT WILL NOT LEAK, PUT UNDERWEAR AND PLASTIC PANTS IF YOU WONT TO BE 100%. PIN

Post subject: Side Leakage at Night.
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 12:02 am 

I am a side sleeper and was prone to leakage but, I took some good advice from the rest of you and eliminated side leaks. I use an Abena disposable, cover that with a cloth pin on diaper and finish off with a good quality plastic pant (the poly-urethane type). With this set-up the disposable gets the majority of the moisture and any leaks are absorbed by the cloth. The plastic pants are for security, just to make sure. It works for me.
Schoe

Post subject: side leaks
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:22 pm 

Hi I have not come up with a good system yet some nights don't leak then others leak is cloth the only way to go? I was concerned about the cost the first time.Thanks

Post subject: Night problems
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:28 am 

Ron, Just get a few pair of cloth diapers at first, that way the financial outlay is not so bad. Getting a dozen cloth diapers all in one shot can be very expensive at first so just start slow. There are a lot of good cloth diapers out there and there are some real bad ones as well. Remember that quality will last and save you money. Some of us use a very thick night-time weight cloth diaper with a good pair of plastic or rubber pants over that. Remember that you move around some at night so real tight elastics in the pants will cut blood flow and result in some sore welts on the legs. Avoid using the all in one diapers and avoid elastic leg diapers as well. Use pin on cloth diapers as they provide the best protection. As for pins, I found that Gerber baby pins work the best and are the least expensive. You can get them at Meyers or Walmart for less that a dollar for four pins. Good pants can be obtained from a variety of sources but I like Fetware for my pants although I do not like their name. I do like their quality though. A simple night plan is to use a good disposable followed by a good cloth diaper followed by flannel lined plastic pants. This is almost fool-proof for keeping the bed dry at night. Hopefully some of our compatriots will contribute their sage advice and we will try to help you as best we can since we are all in the same boat.
Schoe

Post subject: side leaks
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:38 pm 

Thanks for the info Schoe.I will try to intergrate them in my night time sched.If you or anyone else has info feel to pass it on to me.Thanks

Post subject: Side leakage
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:05 pm 

I am new to the list so if this forum is old, bear with me.
I agree with Schoe about using cloth diapers over disposables.
My wife and I travel a lot on our Harley and there is not a lot of room to carry lots of cloth diapers.

My wife is the one who suggested what has been a solution for us. Take along a couple of worn cloth diapers. They do not take up as much room. I do the same as Schoe, put on a disposable and then the cloth followed by plastic pants. I have to wash a diaper every 2 or 3 days but neither my wife nor I wake up in a wet bed!

Post subject: Night time cloth
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:42 pm 
Hi Ron,
I'd like to add to the great info provided by Schoe! Be careful to get plastic pants that fit you comfortably!

I can't tell you how many times I've seen someone post "...and add a good pair of tight fitting plastic pants for leak free...."

I say Hogwash! What the hell does "good" mean when it comes to plastic pants? Any plastic pants from any of the suppliers we provide in the Primer are "good" plastic pants.

And, most importantly, forget the "tight fitting" crap! Schoe is absolutely right! Any plastic pant that leaves welts or marks on your skin is too tight, period!

Leaks are prevented by adequate diapering. "Good" plastic pants are so avialable these days from a number of sources. Good plastic pants are soft and comfortable and full cut to allow tucking the leg and waist bands into the cloth diaper. If I must mention a couple, let it be Suprima and Babykins. The really big name, Gary, who makes plastic pants for almost every seller, is one that I've found to have overly tight waist elastics for the size of the pants. I'll discuss that more, later with anyone who wishes to persue it, but I won't go into right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:17 pm 

Hi Joe was glad to hear you opions feel free to give any more suggestions would be most welcomed.I'am sorta new to incon being older when started having trouble due to bph.Thanks