www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 7:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:34 am 

This is for those of you who wear plastic, rubber or vinyl pants over your disposable diapers. I am curious for several reasons. First of all I wear Abena X-Tra plus diapers with the Abr-fix pants over them. For those of you who haven't tried these, they are a nylon spandex type of brief that stretches over the diaper and holds everything in place during active wear.

Now on to the topic at hand. I have tried wearing vinyl pants over my disposable diapers several times and I have not been pleased. Either they are designed for thick cloth diapers so there is so much room that there is no support or they end up sliding down. In addition is there any point to wearing plastic over a diaper with a plastic back sheet? I say this because once a diaper begins to leak will the plastic pants afford any protection?

For the people that do wear plastic pants routinely, what is the secret to the perfect fit? Any type or style that works better? Also any favorite sites or name brands that you prefer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:16 am 

JRB: I use a terry lined plastic pant over my disposable at night. The terry lining will catch any leak if it happens, and they are especially handy for when a person lies on his or her side while sleeping.

Now I don't use a plastic pant during the day. I have never had occasion to do so. I use good diapers so I really don't worry about leaks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:30 pm 

I've been wearing kins low riders over Abena super for some time now. They have helped if and when I flood, better to be safe then sorry. For me the lg. size is a perfect fit. At night I wear a kins full brief over a Abena x-plus (m4) and have not had a wet bed, the brief is cut larger then the low rider but works for night use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:33 pm 

I haven't found a need to wear plastic pants over a disposable. I use Abena X-plus most of the time and they are sufficient to handle all of my needs. Plastic pants make me sweat too much anyways, especially if I am active.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:58 am 

JRB, you have raised an interesting question! People line up on both sides of this issue....to wear plastic pants over a disposable or not. Each side has their firm beliefs......<grin>

I feel you are correct in wondering in your post, 'once a disposable diaper begins to leak, will plastic pants contain the leaking?' (not an exact quote)

Speaking from experience, I have worn plastic pants over a disposable in the hope that it would save me wet pants and have been disappointed over and over with wet panty lines on my trousers where the disposable leaked....in spite of the plastic pants. Plastic pants over the disposable diaper provides no absorbancy and "free liquid" that escaped from the disposable won't be contained between the diaper and the plastic pants and will get out at the leg bands, especially when you are sitting.

AND, by the way, the leg bands on your plastic pants must NEVER be tight enough to hold liquid in.....that kind of pressure would leave nasty red bands on your skin and be very bad for your skin.

Plastic pants should not be considered "leak stoppers or liquid holders" which may sound a bit odd for me to say that, but....that is the job of the diaper....cloth diapers in the case of plastic pants. The cloth diaper must be adequate to contain the liquid, which will also stop leaks....while the job of the plastic pants is, simply, to isolate the wet diapers from your outer clothing.

For what it's worth, I believe that if you want increased leakage protection when wearing a disposable, you need to wear some cotton over the disposable and then plastic pants. That has a chance of saving you a leak.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:08 pm 

I have to agree with JoeK regarding wearing something cotton (abssorbant) over the disposable if the plastic pants are to do any good at stopping leaks in the disposable. At night I am in cloth diapers and plastic pants. I am a fairly heavy nighttime wetter and I have had very few leaks over the years once I switched to cloth. I used to sleep in disposables but I never found one that I could trust all night. I am a side sleeper which does not bode well using disposable diapers. I use both disposables and cloth during the day depending on whether I am out and about or at home. I like the convenience of disposables during the day but they do tend to leak in the crotch faster than cloth when I am sitting.

I think there are many people out there that wear plastic pants over disposables during the day just to muffle the noise of the disposable diaper, not to help support the disposable. I wear a pair of cotton briefs over my disposables to keep the noise down and to help keep the diaper in place. Disposables tend to shift and slip on me when I am active and the briefs help keep this to a minimum. Plus the briefs will keep the diaper in place should one or more of the tapes come undone. This happens to me when it gets warm and/or I am being physically active. I know there are mesh type pants that are made to be worn over disposables.

Plastic pants are not made to support a diaper or keep it in place. Plastic pants are made to be a barrier to contain any free urine until the diaper is able to absorb it and to keep the wet diaper separated from your outer clothing and/or bed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:49 pm 

I am curious about terry lined vinyl pants.. Where do you buy them and how do they hold up. I had a pair ages ago and they were hard to clean without causing the vinyl to crack before it's time Let me know

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:46 am 

I bought 3 pair off of Ebay a couple of years ago. I am not too sure of the brand name but they have stood up extremely well. The outer shell is very soft plastic, almost rubber like.

They've worked really well for me over the last couple of years.

Do a google search for terry lined plastic pants or flannel lined plastic pants and that will give you some supplier names.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:15 am 

JRB,

I bought a couple of pairs of these from AC Medical Supplies out of Canada. They have a huge website.
I have the same pair that Ive used for a number of years. I only use them when I go to the doctors office when I know I will have to undress. They will not last a long time if you continuously use them since you have to wash them in a washer. They are quality made though. .....Paul Martin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:16 pm 

Thanks Paul I'll check out the website.