www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Urodynamics
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:42 pm 
Admin

So I had my urodynamics at the Naval Hospital on Friday. The last one I had was like 2 years ago and it was uneventful. My urologist said in his report that I had an "unremarkable" test. I felt like a fool because I was there for incontinence and nothing showed up on the test. Not this time. I went in Friday with a full bladder and pee'd like 327mL. My flow was good. The nurse did a bladder ultrasound on me and it showed that I retained 104mL of urine. Normal is like 50-100mL. So I was a little above average. Then they hooked me up to catheters. They pumped salene into my bladder to fill it. I did not get any initial sensation until I had 187mL of salene in there. THe nurse was like..."Can you feel that"? I couldn't up to that point. Then they filled my bladder some more. At 450mL, I sprung a leak and almost pee'd on the tech. I was standing there and felt the urine start to come out but I couldn't stop it. I did manage to stop it after quite a bit leaked out on the floor. It would have been a moderate amount. I finished and couldn't take anymore at 500mL. I was wondering if this sounds like Neurogenic bladder? Can anyone give me some guidance? I see the urologist on Monday to discuss my results.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:03 pm 

If you check out neurogenic bladder in Wikipedia and elsewhere through a Google search, you'll find out that one of the main symptoms is urine retention with a need to catheterize several times a day. I realize that your bladder doesn't empty completely, but you pass enough urine that I suspect you don't qualify for a neurogenic bladder diagnosis.

Something to keep in mind that a diagnosis is just a label. A lot of us have incontinence that falls between the cracks of the diagnostic categories.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:59 pm 
Admin

I don't think I ever hold 500mL. I leak way before that. I can't say I ever get that full. I think it just got that full because they were filling my bladder with salene and I sprung a leak about 450mL. I think that is very rare for me. I came in there leaking a little bit before I took my diaper off for the test. I dripped on the way to the test comode and managed to pee out 327mL. That is the point where it usually feels like I'm going to leak. And I leak all the time. My bladder never fills up completely. I just don't get the urge. I didn't have any sensation until 187mL. There just has to be something to that. That isn't normal. I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:49 pm 

I don't know how others feel, but I hate some of those tests the urologist does. They put things (tube) in parts of your body that were not meant for that sort of thing. I guess the thing that bothers me the most is the pain and discomfort of those tubs they put in you. After the tubes are in place, it is more discomfort until they tubes are removed. I had my last urology tests done last October, and the doc said I didn't not need to have a follow-up for two years. Five years would have been better, but at least I dodn't have to have any more of those tests done for a while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 5:39 pm 

i had this test last week, the doctor told me that, the bladder should hold
300cc of urine. My test show, that my bladder only holds 100cc (I was dancing in my seat, ready to brust). The doctor stated "to start thing about using a cath. 24/7". Any sug? thanks Willard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:01 am 

I had the same test done last October. Once I was finished with all the tests, the doc sorta suggested the same to me. He "reviewed" my options so to speak, and brought up the use of a cath. I've gottoen a very bad infection from a cath before and don't want to even consider taking that chance again. I'm also double incon, so having just a urine cath would not do a lot of good anyway. The doc didn't push it, and I don't have a follow up with him for until October, 2012.

I've been incon for several years, and I've always used diapers and they work just fine for me. I don't see any reason for changing to a cath system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:58 am 

I had the test some years ago. I got sweaty and couldn't hold any more at about 6 oz (177 ml). But the X-ray didn't show the bladder tremors that they were expecting. But they knew from my reaction that that was my limit.

Post subject: Re: Urodynamics
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:39 pm 

I had a urodynamic test done last December. She filled me up, stopped and switched bags, and started again. I didn't feel it . She stopped it when I started leaking. She removed everything and told me to try to pee and left the room. I thought I got a lot out, I only got about 100ml out. She cathed me and took out 950ml. Not a good outcome. I didn't see the urologist after that, so I will see him next week July 10.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:13 am 

Daiperdan,....do you use a cath all the time now?

The urodymanic test it one test that I dislike having done only because of the discomfort. The last time I had that test done, they kept taking the tube/cath in & out and each time they did that it was painful. I don't look forward to having that test done again, but I'm due to have that test done in January during my annaul eval hospital stay. The good news is, I don't have urine retention,...I leak a little all the time and have urge incontinence so I don't use, or need a cath. One of the things I've learned is most ppl with "severe" spinal cord injury use a cath because of retention. I'm one of the few that don't have that problem probably because I'm a "incomplete" paraplegic, and not a full paraplegic.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:40 am 

No I don't use a cath because of the pain and bleeding. I have retention and I may have a foley put in when I go back Tuesday to the Urologist.