www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Urodynamics
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:25 pm 

Well I wonder if the Tenas is more a matter of fit - we are all different shapes so would expect the fit to vary. It suits me, anyway.

The alternative to the Foley is a [url=Supra-pubic cathter]Supra-pubic cathter[/url] which is much less likely to get infected.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:30 pm 

Hi Wheels
Yes different product fit people different. I was just saying for all the hype of the Tena Slip I thought it would be better.
Yes I know if the Foley doesn't work the SPC is next. Do they remove your sphincter as a last resort?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:23 am 

diaperdan wrote:
Hi Wheels
Yes different product fit people different. I was just saying for all the hype of the Tena Slip I thought it would be better.
Yes I know if the Foley doesn't work the SPC is next. Do they remove your sphincter as a last resort?

Good question about the sphincters. I had asked about at least having botox injected into them to allow free flow but my consultant reckoned that wouldn't work. Now I have MS and this might not be the same advice for someone with a different condition - I know that studies of dividing the sphincters in spinal injury patients show that it does work. The effect, of course, would make a lot more leaks and maybe continuous leakage so possibly harder to deal with.

Choosing treatment options is a difficult thing so the job is to question the doctors and make sure they explain everything before choosing a treatment.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:57 am 

I had my sphincterotomy in August, 1999. It ended years of intense bladder pain at the cost of continual leakage. I understand that this is a radical procedure, and not every urologist is comfortable doing it; however, it has been a godsend for me. If you understand what this procedure is all about, what it will do to your incontinence, and if your urologist agrees that it would be appropriate for you and that he/she is comfortable doing it, go for it with my blessing.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:13 pm 

I would not wish this test on my worst enemy! It was painful when they put the catheter in to drain the bladder, and then the "thin" one placed to fill with water was just as painful. My bladder spasamed like crazy at the foreign object.

I asked the technician if it is normal to feel the first level of need even before the bladder fills and she said yes... Then, painfully, the filling began till I finally got to the point where I needed to urinate.

She leaves and as I try to pee the catheter starts to slip out... I call her back in as only a little bit came out and she suggested standing to empty the remaining 100cc. As I moved the pain was terrible And the urine came out... Along with the catheter and urine splashed on me, the chair, and my socks.... Talk about humiliating...

Now I am waiting for the cystoscopy and feeling nauseous. How on God's green earth do people do this multiple times?!?!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:54 pm 

Tarlton, I'm sorry that it went so badly. While I've never had urodynamics performed, I've twice had a catheter, both times in a hospital setting. Agonizingly painful, and the benefit seems negligible relative to the discomfort.

Wetters

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:48 pm 

I'm also sorry it went badly for you. I have had that procedure done and I feel you pain about having the two caths being place there. When I told them I felt the urge to pee, they didn't have a chance to move. Luckily there was a towel underneath me, but because of the cath it wasn't a straight shot. Needless to say like you urine seem to be everywhere but the cup. Really embarrassing, but the two nurses in the room keep telling me it was ok and this happens all the time. Meantime, I am thinking here I am in my forties standing in front of two women with just a hospital robe put on backwards unable to control my bladder.

I will tell you the cystoscopy went extremely better. Luckily with that they were able to place some numbing gel in my urethra so the camera wouldn't hurt and no pain afterwards. The only embarrassment I felt was having to put my legs up in stir-ups so the Doc could preform the procedure.

It was far less painful than my very first one they did when I was a teenager, where they had to stretch out my urethra due to it closing down on itself. Going to the bathroom bought tears to my eyes after that procedure. So I have gone from one end of the spectrum to the other. Not being able to go in my teens to now not making it to the bathroom.

Best of luck on your next visit and hopefully it will not be as bad.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:45 pm 

Thank you both for your sympathy :( . The cystoscopy went better because of the numbing gel. Wish they could have done it for the first part.... It was freaky looking inside my bladder. The scope showed that my left kidney valve is flat as opposed to looking like a circle. The urologist wants to perform and ultrasound on my kidneys to make sure they are ok. He said I may have had reflex when I was a kid and that is what caused that.

Regarding the urodynamics test the pressure, capacity, and stream all looked good except he and the tech had a disagreement on the results. The tech thinks my bladder has a normal rise in bladder pressure, but the urologist interpreted sudden spikes which is indicative of an over active bladder.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:35 pm 

Tarlton, I feel your pain. I've had cystoscopy x2 and a urodynamics test. Urodynamics was no fun. Im a regular Foley catheter user and that little catheter was painful going in!! More painful than a foley.....then they put the catheter in my rectum......no fun there either....the exam ended up being completely normal. The cystoscopy (both of them) were normal.....& otherwise unremarkable. Very frustrating. I am still dealing with extreme urinary frequency and incontinence and so to be told that nothing appears wrong was almost too much to take.....