www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:10 am 

Background - I became bladder & bowel incontinent (incon) due to a spinal cord injury (SCI) at L4/L5 & S1. The injury to the nerves resulted in what the medical community terms "Cauda Equina Syndrome". Simply stated, I am an "Incomplete Paraplegic" and my incon is secondary to the spinal cord injury itself.

I am a Veteran, (non-service connected injuries) receiving all my medical treatment from the VA. My Primary Healthcare Provider recently retired and was soon replaced by a well-qualified Nurse Practitioner with several years of experience providing healthcare to SCI patients. My first appointment with this person (my new Primary) lasted almost 2 hrs. After reviewing all my medical history, and meds, she conducted what I will describe as a nerve sensitivity exam probably to get a baseline of my current medical condition. After reviewing my medical history, exam came the lab work. They drew blood, and I provided urine so the lab can do their part providing additional medical information. Once everything was completed during my scheduled appointment, she still wanted more tests, (imaging).....she is very thorough. Within 7 days, I had an appointment with the Radiology Dept. for ultrasound imaging of the scrotum. In all the many different tests and exams I've had over the years, I don't recall ever having any imaging done in my scrotum. When I first arrived at the Radiology Dept. for my appt. that day, I didn't know what to expect. After the Radiology Tech explained the ultrasound procedure I understood what they were imaging. I was a bit surprised, to say the least, but I honestly didn't know what to expect. :?: This appt took place on a Tuesday afternoon at 3:30 PM. The tech did what needed and finished the ultrasound imaging in a matter of just a few minutes and I was dressed and out of there before 4 PM.

The following day, Wednesday, I answered the phone about 8:40 AM,...(keep in mind my last appt was imaging the day prior at 3:30 PM). The person calling me was calling to set up an appt in the Urology Dept. so I could see the urologist. I told the appt. clerk calling that I didn't know anything about having an appt. with the urologist. I failed to connect the dots between the ultrasound imaging and the urologist. :( No one else had called me with results of the ultrasound. It was only done the previous afternoon and the VA doesn't "normally" work that fast so I was caught off guard and failed to connect the dots. I told the urology appt. clerk I would get back to her. I "thought" my new Primary Provider had made an error since I already have an appt. to see the urologist in January, it made no sense to see now. I called the office of my Primary Provider and spoke with the RN, (assistant to my Primary Provider) and she explained they had received the results of the ultrasound and notified the Urology Dept. No one told me, but that explained why I received a phone call requesting I set up an appt to see the urologist. :arrow:

I received the "formal" announcement of the ultrasound results and would like to ask if anyone has had the same medical issue, or knows anything about such matters. The actual imaging results read, "Ultrasound Scrotum - Small bilateral hydroceles.

Question - What does small bilateral hydroceles in the scrotum mean? My appt. with the urologist is Wednesday, January 3rd. I'm curious to find out what a small bilateral hydroceles is all about.

Thank you in advance for your reply.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:47 pm 

Check the condition out on Wikipedia. You have something “interesting” wrong with you. Fortunately, it can probably be corrected rather easily, but you most definitely need attention from a good urologist.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:28 pm 

Here's a good explanation https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-con ... c-20363969