www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:20 pm 

I'm happy to bash "therapists". That's not too say that therapy can't help people, but the term therapist has no concrete definition in most places. It can mean someone that holds a PhD in psychology, all the way down to someone with no training that the local paster thinks gives good advice.

Most places, the title of psychologist is protected by law, and tells you something about the credentials of the individual, so that's a much more trustworthy term. The accreditation process for psychologists is broad, and scientifically based, requiring significant advance study, and is state regulated (meaning the state sets specific accreditation standards). In contrast, the accreditation process for chiropractors is highly variable by school, and is self regulated (most states grant specific medical privileges based on chiropractic accreditation, but don't regulated the accreditation process). Psychology is a regulated scientific practice, chiropractic is more like a club.

A major difference between Freud and Palmer is that Freud was highly educated expert, whom created a new field of psychology based on preexisting scientific know, whereas Palmer was a Grocery store owner, that made up his practice out of whole cloth. Freud was wrong about many things, but he was also right about many things, and psychoanalysis has thrived because of the strong foundation. Palmer was, for all intents and purposes, wrong about everything, and the fact that spinal manipulation therapy is effective for alleviating lower back pain is basically a happy coincidence, and had essentially nothing to do with his theories.

So ... that wasa very long winded way of saying, no, I won't trust a therapist at all. I think that's a mostly meaningless designation, but I don't equate that term with with psychologist because it's not legally equivalent. I also think that psychoanalysis (which is what I assume you intended) is much better founded than chiropractics, and Ident really comparable.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:30 pm 

Yeah, I had that done once too. For me, it only seemed to calm my nerves and muscle tension (pretty good actually). That was very short lived though- but I did only have it done once. Oh, and those tiny needles they use don't even hurt the least.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:21 pm 
Admin

I saw my chiro before my MVA rear-ender in 1995, and a thousand times after. I credit him alone in getting me back to where I am today, along with myself for not giving up and ending up where everyone said I would be, with severe long-term effects that would hinder my mobility, employment, and what I could do in life for enjoyment... I must say, along with my chiro, that I came out of it all much better then either of us thought I would in the months after it happened, so that is that... He is the only other medical person I mentioned my wetting issues to, and without a doubt he agreed it was most likely from nerve damage suffered from the accident ( my GP also agreed), but I have never had a CT or MRI to confirm it, almost scared to see what my spine looks like in there! :shock: I just keep on at it, the only things I can't do without instant pain is run, or ride a bicycle, my sacrum does NOT like that motion in the least. So, as far as Chiropractors go, chalk me down in the YES, they work column! I don't see mine as often now, as I bought an Inversion table, and just a quick hang on that almost upside down from my feet keep my back in check for the most part. :-) I did try the acupuncture in my rehab sessions in Physio after the MVA, but got no positive results from it, but the gal did manage to bend a few of those needles in my concrete muscles of a back I now own! :shock: Puffy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:04 am 

I have been seeing a Neurourologist. I wanted to know why I was incontinent and if it could be fixed. I have neck surgery C 3,4,5 and 6. It fixed a lot of issues in my body. But it didn't affect my bladder or bowels
The answer is The nerves do come in at S-1 then they split front and back.
I was told through a Fluoroscope that my tailbone is twisted. No wonder I have problems!! He told me he could greatly improve my problem

He implanted a temporary Estem unit in. It worked great and I greatly improved. It was taken out 2 weeks later. I am set up to have the permanent one put in.
The product is made by Medtronics. I am impressed with it. This is the best I've ever been with the product working inside me. Now it's out and I'm still in diapers. I have it put in Jan 9 2017

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:04 pm 

Good luck with your upcoming surgery. Report back, to let other here know how it went. Others may want to explore it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:16 pm 

I will!!!
I was told it is a small unit put just under the skin. I will not know it's there!
I was impressed with the trial!!! The test is over and it did not damage me!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:58 am 

Glad to see the trial worked for you. By their own numbers it doesn't work for 60% of those who try it (I was one if them). I understand they keep the same lead from the test at the nerve, and for the main implant surgery they
really only just add the battery device.

It "should" work the exact same way after your surgery, so smooth sailing.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:17 pm 

Not for what I'm having. I will get all new. I will have a short operation, they will open me up and put it in. All new!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:54 am 

Interesting. I guess their estem has a completely different approach than their interstem does.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:27 pm 

My mind is not working. It is a Interstem by Medtronics. The trial version worked very well. I can tell the difference with it on and now that it's been taken out. I will be in better shape when it gets implanted in January