www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: urethral stretching
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:28 pm 

Yeah, it really is just as bad as it sounds.

So any ways, I've got two different strictures in my urethra right now that have literally blocked my urethra and prevented me from being able to pee when I need to. Still not being able to hold your pee is bad? To confirm my problems I had a a cystoscopy today where my urologist inserted a "tiny" camera up you know where. It was uncomfortable to say the least, but at least not too painful.

After confirming they were there, my urologist casually mentioned he would like to "stretch me" as a temporary measure to open me up again until my problem can be addressed in a more permanent way

Picture a crochet hook, that is fully smooth and tapered on the end. Except it also has a gradual 90 degree bend in the tip of it. It was also about the same size in diameter as you can imagine. He inserted this torture device in also you know where. This literally forced my urethra to stretch back open with great pain however momentary, but he wasn't done. Once inserted he "flicked" it and momentarily pushed it into me further to really and truly stretch my urethra back open. Ouch!

Wait, there's more. For this first urethral sound it was a (french) fr 16 size in diameter. Big enough to hurt, but only just big enough to get inserted. Next up was a 18 fr sound using the same method. Double ouch! But wait, we have even more, act now and he threw in an additional 20, AND 22 fr sound. Yea-ouch!!! Not convinced it was enough, how about a whopping 24 fr sound? Now that really takes the cake and opened me enough that I was literally and openly peeing again when he pressed on my abdomen. Much better than not being able to pee at all at least. But ouch, that doesn't even describe it any more.

Worst of all, if you can believe it.... it's only temporary and won't last more than a month. My urologist has already said he is ready to do a 5th sphincterotomy on me! Of course that will have to wait till I get back from my flight to Japan in mind March.

Oh well....

Post subject: Re: urethral stretching
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:10 am 

Yikes. You have done so well to take all that. Do not think I will face anything like that today I am sure my tract is nice and wide because I used to have a foley up there and it always went in fine.

Well done.

4wheeldave.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:00 am 

Hi Brian

Ouch is right, hopefully this will help you while you are away on vacation and until you get your next surgery later in the month.

Hope you have a great vacation and do not have any issues while away.

Rob

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:13 am 

Ouch! I did the whole camera thing when I was 8. That... was... not... fun... And I still remember it vividly. There was a stinging pain for several days after. Slightly traumatic, to say the least :P Stretching on top of that sounds absolutely horrible! I would not wish that upon anyone. I hope you get better soon, Brian!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:41 am 

Brian, it hurts to even consider it! Let's hope things get better.

--John

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:41 pm 

Yeah, and it still hurts. I've been constantly on the oxycodone just to help me function. Of course I've been taking it for years now so it doesn't affect me like it will most other people. Oxy to me is more like extra strength tylenol to some. Hence the reason I've been taking so much.

Regardless, between the stretching and the catheter which I still have in, I am still not having much fun right now. I have been sitting on a perennial donut though, which has been helping a lot though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:54 am 
Admin

WOW Brian, Thats a lot to go through and just makes me want to shiver for a while. :shock:

And I thought my foley caths was bad at times. Thats nothing like what you went through. :shock:

I sure hope that it will at least temporary fix your problems, until they can get in there and fix it soon.

Please keep us informed on your status.

Schoppy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:42 am 

Brian,
Hopefully your pain calms down for you soon.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:47 pm 

It has. I took out the catheter this morning and the pain is nearly all gone now. I am pretty much back to where I was a couple of months ago too. Half of the time I am peeing without any thought, the other half my bladder fills up just enough to trigger another painful urge and I am straining just a little in order to be able to pee.

I do know this is only a temporary measure though. My continuing to strain absolutely will make my strictures come back too. My urologist expects this to be in about a month (give or take). He also just set me up an tentative date for a fifth sphincterotomy surgery on april 26. Of course I'll let everyone know how that goes, but expect it to be just like my last 4.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:58 pm 

Wow......ouch.......I'm,sorry you had to endure that. As a regular Foley catheter user, I feel like the foley is a godsend most days......but there again I'm only using an 18F. I can't imagine a 24F crochet needle with a 90 degree hook on it. My wife was putting my foley in last week and the foley started backing out as she was beginning to inflate the balloon.....I came right up off the bed......fortunately no damage was done, but man did that wake me up!!