www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: urethral stretching
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:51 pm 

I had something done like this when I was 17. The docs found my urethra was closing in a spot. To do what they did, I was under anesthesia and I am glad they did. It hurt to pee for over a week. I forgot the pills they gave me to reduce the pain, but it was still painful. I could not imagine having it done being awake.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:45 pm 

Yeah, the odd thing is that catheters were my go to relief once upon a time. I then had a urologist recommend I effectively stay catheterized all of the time since he couldn't or wouldn't do anything else for me. I uses an 18fr, 5cc balloon catheter (which is/was the most comfortable for me). I did this for 7 months straight, then one day my urethra just couldn't take it any more. I've been really sensitive to having anything up there since.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:51 pm 

Brian,
I'm so sorry you are having so much trouble, hopefully your medical team can get a plan together to keep you healthy. Do they think it will hold out so you can enjoy your vacation ?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:31 pm 

Reading this post hurt my soul.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:38 pm 

Brian,

This must have been agony. I have had the sound used on me, but it was the smallest diameter one, nothing at all similar to the torture devices used on you. If this were done on me, I would insist on being out of it, totally anesthetized. If doctors only knew what they put us through, they would take the pain they are inflicting more seriously. I wish you a speedy recovery.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:23 pm 

This sounds familiar. I currently need to stretch my urethral at least once daily (preferably twice daily) to keep the scar tissue at bay. When I began stretching, I was only able to pass a 10Fr. I have worked my way up to a 14Fr, the largest size recommended by my surgeon. Even with the regular dilation, urinating is difficult and I'm concerned over the long term effects on my bladder.

I hope the temporary stop gap of stretching is effective enough for you to get relief. What long-term solution was recommended to you to repair the strictures? Are the strictures at the sphincterotomy site or elsewhere in the urethra?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:45 pm 

Well as expected, my stretching is already wearing off. My urologist already has me scheduled for my 5th sphincterotomy next week though. He will use the same tools on my stricture as he will for my sphincter muscle (even though it is in a different spot).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:10 am 

Brian,
I wish you the best of luck on your surgery. I have very little if any feeling there. So for me can only imagine the type of pain you are in. Is there anything else they can do to keep the scar tissue from growing back ?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:52 am 

I don't believe my strictures are from scar tissue alone. They are bulges caused from the abdominal pressure of my having to strain, combined with my weakened urethra from the previous surgeries.

I'm hoping if we can fully eliminate my straining then the bulges/strictures should not return.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:50 pm 

Brian, I wish you the very best possible outcome. I'm sorry that you have had to endure all of it.

W.