www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Not opting for physio.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:36 am 

The last two weeks I have been going to the hospital for some physio on my bladder, and was bitterly disappointed as I thought I would be working with the nurse to help me achieve the kegel exercises.
My last appointment which was on Saturday, 13th February was a wasted two hours in my opinion, as she told me that the exercises haven't been working properly and that there would be no point continuing. My future appointments would just be discussing and filling in forms(questions and answers). She wasn't going to help me with further exercises, so I told her that these appointments were useless, if nothing was going to be done in helping me to combat my incontinence.
So, I will now live with the incontinence and try to retrain my bladder myself. I am trying to do timed voidings and delay going to the loo for two hour periods. Not successful as yet, but it is early days so will soldier on.
If anyone has any advice in regards to the timed voidings, I would like to hear their input.
I was also given some vaginal liquid lubricants but as of yet haven't used them.
Was also told that if I want to try again with the physio, to phone the hospital before mid April. I don't think I will bother with physio, though. Have I made the right decision?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:40 pm 

aurora,

I regretted reading about the failure of your physical therapy treatments. My guess is that physical therapy is largely an expectations game. I was told, early on, that physical therapy would not cure me; I would always have bladder and bowel control difficulties. What physical therapy did do was it taught me Kegel exercises, diet management measures, and ways to dress myself and wash and change my diapers without risking life and limb. Embarrassing? Yes indeed. However, learning to dress myself and change my diapers safely, when my world is spinning out of control; my legs refuse to work, and I have vomited three of my last four meals, has been a godsend. I wish you success in learning the best, most effective ways to manage your issues.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:30 am 

Aurora,

I am so sorry that you had such a bad experience. The nurse told you that the exercises were not working after only two weeks? That is a fairly brief period in which to expect any significant results.

Do you have other options?

--John

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:44 am 

Hi John,
Yes, was told after two weeks that the physio exercises weren't working, basically because I couldn't do the kegel exercises properly, and the nurse didn't want to help me with this. She said it would be pointless, to continue.
Now I am at home, trying to do timed voids and quite frankly this is a pain in the derriere, as I feel my whole life is revolved around getting to the toilet on time. I am trying to just go, when I feel a powerful urge, and not to go just when my bladder is telling me, which seems to be often.
Hence with the timed voids, I often try and distract myself, so that I am not thinking that I need to go. As time goes by, I am aiming to go every two or three hours, but as of yet, this is not achievable. Oh well, I guess time will tell, and I am not going to get too despondent about this.
Quite frankly, I have gotten used to my bladder issues and I suppose they will now be with me forever, so no big deal.
I shall carry on, as I have been and just continue using protection.
Does it really matter, in the great scheme of things, if I am still wet? I am dealing with this in my own way, quite admirably and just get on with life in general.
Even if nothing gets sorted and I have the incontinence forever, I am still the person I was before all this happened.
I am not going to let a loss of urine, get me down! Life is too short and there is so much, I still want to do.
Kerry

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:16 pm 

That is a good attitude at least. I too tried timed voiding- once. For me, I had to go every hour on the hour. I found it was best to just set an alarm, as trying to constantly watch the clock isn't very fesable.

After about a month I gave up though. It was just to disruptive and stressful trying to live around the clock and toilet at the same time. Hopefully you will have better luck though.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:42 am 

Kerry,

I am disappointed in your health care workers. :( If you were unable to do a "proper" Kegel, or if you lack the muscle control to do it, there are electrical pelvic floor stimulators designed specifically for those situations. Mild electric current via probes causes your muscles to contract exactly as if you had done a manual Kegel. Did your clinician mention this?

--John

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:21 am 

John,

Hello! I am slightly disappointed too! There was no mention of electrical pelvic floor stimulators, and I am not sure
what they had in mind for the future, as nothing was mentioned or discussed.
I have the option of going back to my GP and requesting another referral to do the physio at the hospital, but at the
moment I am experimenting with timed voids, which are helping, although this is not a cure for my incontinence.
For now, I will continue doing this, but may go back to see the nurse at my GP's surgery just to check that the prolapse of the bladder that I have, has not got worse!
If it hasn't got worse, I will not seek medical help just yet, as I am managing well for the moment and do not want anything too evasive to happen.
I hope this makes sense, and that I am doing the right thing! What are your thoughts on this?

Kerry

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:17 am 

Kerry,
John is right, there are a lot of things you can do. First thing your clinician should find a different line of work. There are devices to help hold your bladder up, two there are stimulator like John said to aid in you strengthening the muscles, Three I have a device to shut your bladder down. You are right, I also have excepted that I will be in diapers or catheterizing for the rest of my life. It is hard to come to terms with but, we must go on like nothing is wrong, see and do all thing we want. Just plan and be prepare to change are diapers or catheterizing when we have too. I have a back pack that looks like I'm on a hiking trip, so I'm prepared for what ever may come up. Hang in there and good luck !!

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:57 am 

Mike,

Thank you for your kind words. I think you are right about the clinician, and nothing was mentioned about stimulators, maybe because of the prolapsed bladder I have, although I cannot be sure of this.
I have been persevering with the timed voids and feel that these are helping, at least with the incontinence issues.
I am still incontinent though, and probably always will be, but that is okay. I feel I am in a position to manage this in my own way, and wear the protection and get on with my life!
I may go back to see the nurse at my local medical centre, just for clarification that the prolapse hasn't gotten any worse, but this can wait another month I guess. If things become too difficult for me, I shall have to re-evaluate my condition!
How do you manage with your incontinence?
I look forward to hearing from you again.

Kerry

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:03 am 

Kerry,
Feel free to P.M. me any time, I try to check my mail often. Now that you have except that incontinence is just a part of who we are, you get a back pack and it is your friend. You pack anything you need to protect yourself from getting wet, but if it happens have a safety set of clothes in there. Time to get out there and enjoy life !!