www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:01 pm 

Yesterday I was at the urologist.
In the beginning it was a bit funny, sat there reading a magazine and the nurse was a the counter, when I rose up she immediately asked me if I had to go to the toilet, which I confirmed while I was dancing a bit on the floor….I only had light protection on at this time….so if my bladder gave away which I knew it would within minutes (experience…..) I was directed towards the special toilet.
I peed in the flowmeter, and despite a strong urge managed only to pee 50ml and my bladder was measured afterwards with ultrasound and it shoved a residual portion of 65ml left in the bladder. Which I was told is within the norm.

However when the urologist tried to enter my bladder through the uthrea with the camera, he couldn't.....apparently I have a pretty severe urethral stricture. I was told if the stricture wasn't that long, he could have fixed it himself. However instead I'll get a refferral letter and will be operated for it. Anyway I was told, that in he's belief that's what's causing my hypersensitive bladder and occasional loss of urine.

Mu prostate and bladder seemed to be healthy, thank god - no cancer, which was what I feared the most.

Also I was informed that post op. I should expect catherization for 2x3 months whereas the first three monhts should be more or less 100% and the next three months would be by using intermittent catheters. Apparently he expects that my bladder will return to normal behaviour after the surgery as it by then will be able to empty without the extreme contractions I have today.

It all made sense to me, since I have always wondered why my stream was so weak compared to others. Also maybe it has contrinuted to a somewhat shy bladder too, since many times I cannot go despite a strong urge.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:13 am 

jms,

After urodynamics testing, ending up with a solid diagnosis of the problem and a plan to correct it is a great outcome!

--John

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:23 am 

After a slight variation on this test, my urologist told me that a sphincterotomy was appropriate. Indeed it was; my pain is largely over, and I could not be happier. I wish you as much success as I've had.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:04 pm 

Hope surgery (and the outcome) goes well.

Your symptoms sound familiar, especially the urgency with little output and difficulty emptying. I was scoped and diagnosed with 2 (possibly 3, couldn't fit the scope past the second) strictures a few months ago. I have thus far been dilating the strictures using an intermittent catheter, which does help but I need to do it daily to maintain the effect. Surgery may be inevitable. Please update as you can, I'd like to hear how it goes for you.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:47 am 

Glad they solved your incontinence issues! I hope the surgery is a rousing success and don't be a stranger when you cross over the tracks to Dry Town! 8) 8)

Marcus Aurelius

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:36 am 

A small update.

I have received a letter from the hospital, they have scheduled a second investigation November 18th. I have to go through the exactly same studies....which was kind of surprising for me since the urologist have come up with a conclusion. But no, the doctors at the hospital want to carry out their own investigations......and conclude what's wrong based on these studies.

I really do feel like a guinea pig at the moment.

BTW. the uroligist said that after the surgery, I would have to go through bladder training due to my bladder beeing hyperactive.
That one I worry about.....since it will mean I won't be out of diapers in the near future.....as I simply don't trust my bladder - and it will take some time to reestablish that trust - if the program works.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:40 pm 

JMS, just remember the light at the end of the tunnel...

Marcus Aurelius

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:33 am 

Ok 2nd. Embarrassing test is over. Peed in a measurement cup and was afterwards subjected to ultra sound to see how much my bladder was retaining. My bladder retained approx. 50 ml. which is ok. I wasn’t told how much I peed, but I could see it wasn’t much.
Anyway I was told that given the strictures in my urethra I’ll have to undergo surgery in order to remove them. If not, I would end up not being able to pee at all due to the strictures getting worse. So I’m scheduled for that surgery January 12th. 2016.
I was also told, that after the surgery, I would have to use intermittent catheters for the rest of my life twice a week in order to keep my urethra open since I would have new scar tissue from the operation and if I do not use the catheters my urethra will close again eventually, and I again would have to undergo surgery.

In regard to my overactive bladder, since I reacted badly on detrusol Retard the most common medication for overactive bladder I’ll be prescribed another kind of medication which shouldn’t have the same side effects, its name is Betmiga – apparently this medication shouldn’t give side effects. Anyway I’m told that I shall use it for one month and then we should evaluate the effect. It’s pretty expensive so I cross my fingers that it will work. I wonder what the next step will be, if the medication doesn’t have the desired outcome…..even though I’m undergoing surgery in my urethra I will not undergo surgery in my bladder like botox and other alike.

I’m currently peeing 10-12 times a day with the highest volume in the morning which is approx.. 225ml and with the most common volume during the day which is approx.. 100ml. It’s usually when the volume is higher e.g. around the 200ml. mark I experience accidents where the sudden urge is so overwhelming that I pee myself before making it to the toilet. Not the full volume but enough to cause wet clothes anyway.

During the exam I wore an absorbant pad in my underwear and the doctor asked me how many times a day I changed “my diaper” and how wet it was when I changed it. I usually can go with two pads a day, and I change when needed – they are never soaked but I change anyway to avoid odor problems etc.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:51 pm 

So how well did your surgery go. You should have a pretty good indication by now at least.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:42 am 

The surgery went well - though I really felt sick afterwards, but that's due to the anesthesia...
I peed all over the floor after the nurse removed the catheter, and was put in a diaper :(

Anyway after a couple of days where it really hurt just to pee, and due to my condition I pee very frequently, I as in pain most of the two days, after which the pain slowly subsided, the frequency remains though.

I have an appointment with my regular doctor in two weeks where we will discuss the next step. If there is another step - after the recent surgery I'm determined not to undergo any other surgery no matter what.