www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:05 pm 

Ender wrote:
Hope surgery (and the outcome) goes well.

Your symptoms sound familiar, especially the urgency with little output and difficulty emptying. I was scoped and diagnosed with 2 (possibly 3, couldn't fit the scope past the second) strictures a few months ago. I have thus far been dilating the strictures using an intermittent catheter, which does help but I need to do it daily to maintain the effect. Surgery may be inevitable. Please update as you can, I'd like to hear how it goes for you.

Sorry the late response I think I was carried away with the results (or lack of) after the operation. I was told prior to the operation, that intermittent catheterization would be my future a twice a week. However after the operation no one ever mentioned catheters to me or the need of them, thankfully. Apparently my strictures was rather small in the end therefore no need to dilate afterwards.

However the urges and leakage have not diminished as I hoped for. In two weeks I have an appointment with my doctor and discuss what's next - to be honest I have little hope for a permanent fix of the problem and are starting to consider just giving in.

I think the most stressful for me, is the uncertainty, can my frequency, urgency and leakage be cured without too drastic measures e.g. Botox, or other surgeries? To be honest I'm not that thrilled about any of the options - and have started to consider giving up and resort to continue using protection and upgrade the level of protection as my problem evolves. That road might put an end to the uncertainty since I have made an active decision myself? To be honest I don't know the right path for me. Giving in to the problem means I'll give up and just flow with the stream.....however the opposite continue fighting a loosing battle seems just as depressive to me.
I have full support from my wife so that flank is safe, no matter the decision...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:56 pm 

Jms, botox is not a permanent solution. At best it would tighten up your sphincter just enough to give you better control. It will likely last about two months, yet you can only get the botox done every three months. At worst (and what happened to me) is the botox will tighten you up too much and you will need a semi long term folley catheter in place until it wears off. This of course could actually make things worse for you in the long run.

Either way, the more times you get botox, the less it will work subsequent times. This also does nothing for "retraining" your body to act as you want it to. I honestly do not see botox as anything more than a temporary stop gap, and far from a permanent solution.

Based on what you've said so far it seems to me that re-potty training may be your best, and most natural, permanent chance to regain control. There are medications out there that do help some people (otherwise they wouldn't be made and approved), but it's often hit and miss with side effects. You'll just have to decide for your self if you're willing to try them or not though.

Also, most urinary surgeries out there are designed around diverting control around a malfunctioning bladder/sphincter or otherwise calming chronic problems (but almost never "cure" incontinence like you're looking for. Generally they are more for helping someone to be able to go when they otherwise can't (since this is life threatening). Unfortunately there is are very few surgeries that do the opposite and help someone to hold their pee better.

Don't give up though, and follow up with your urologist on what he/she might be able to do for you. Still though, mentally prepare for the worst that you just might need diapers all the time now. If it turns out better than this, then you'll be happier (versus sadder later if it doesn't).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:39 am 

Baby Brian wrote:
Based on what you've said so far it seems to me that re-potty training may be your best, and most natural, permanent chance to regain control.

I read your introduction....."Brian" please don't give me such an answer as you just did, that's useless to me or anyone else having genuine accidents.
It might be I end up in some sort of diaper or whatever it's called in the end, but it's certainly not because "I'm not potty trained" which is something I will never accept being regarded as not being potty trained I'm not like you, as I never had a dream or desire to be back in diapers as an adult.

I have never had any problems with "potty training" in fact I as trained at a very your age and remains potty trained to this day, despite I suffer from wetting accidents.

As far as I know OAB / urges and accidents have nothing to do with NOT being potty trained.

In fact I think if it was that simple "not being potty trained and just retrain" no one would be incontinent or need medication, surgery, catheters, diapers etc. - only weirdos would be in diapers and use them, but this is not the reality.....

The majority of people in here have a genuine need for solutions for their problems, me included, that might mean diapers, but if you read the various forum posts no one in here choose diapers as a first resort for their genuine problems.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:12 pm 

JMS, I wish I had something helpful to offer but instead will settle for sending good vibes your way. Hopefully you find a solution that works for you and your lifestyle (active, sedentary, extreme athlete etc).

Marcus Aurelius

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:03 pm 

Porkchop wrote:
JMS, I wish I had something helpful to offer but instead will settle for sending good vibes your way. Hopefully you find a solution that works for you and your lifestyle (active, sedentary, extreme athlete etc).

Thanks, I really appreciate.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:46 pm 

Jms, I never meant any disrespect, nor would I expect you to just go with diapers. Maybe I just misunderstood what you had said, or otherwise don't have the full picture here. Maybe we both don't.

OAB just means something is going on with your bladder, it's too general to really mean anything specific type of diagnosis. You had also said your urges before were being caused by a blockage in your urethra- right? You also said that blockage was recently removed, and you seem to be having difficulty holding your pee now- is this also correct? Obviously if you can't hold you pee at all then you aren't getting any more urges (unless you actually are able to hold it at least some, but you didn't say that).

If this is correct, then the most likely thing that has happened is your blockage (based on what you said) was acting more as a valve than your sphincter was. This allowed your sphincter to relax over time (even just a little), so that now the blockage is gone your sphincter is not as strong as it needs to or used to be. If that is the case, then it's actually a good thing since all you will need to do is re-potty train to re-strengthen your muscle. As I had said.

If not, then medications aside, there really isn't a whole lot urologist can do for you. Please trust me on this part, I have quite literally been through every possible option a urologist has in their arsenal. My own problems have also change quite a lot over the years, meaning I have had an unfortunate amount of ranged experience with nearly every single urological problem out there. This is not a joke or understatement either. In addition to this, I found most urologist have little or no idea what they are really even doing. Seriously, have you seen how much guessing and "see if this works" they do? It's no even remotely limited to just me either as I've talked and chatted with a great deal of others. I had to educate myself on it all as a result of my (and their) problems over the years, and while I do not have a degree I am certain I know just as much many urologists out there since I've personally had to educate a bunch of them.

Again, the advice I gave was only based on what little you've mentioned here, and with some logical deductive reasoning, combined with the fair chance I could have misunderstood what you said, then absolutely yes I could be wrong. Still, it's not fair for you to say that I said you should just go with diapers any ways. Especially since I never said that. I merely gave the advice that IF diapers end up being need, that situation is not as bad as it could be.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:57 am 

Baby Brian wrote:
Jms, I never meant any disrespect, nor would I expect you to just go with diapers. Maybe I just misunderstood what you had said, or otherwise don't have the full picture here. Maybe we both don't.

OAB just means something is going on with your bladder, it's too general to really mean anything specific type of diagnosis. You had also said your urges before were being caused by a blockage in your urethra- right? You also said that blockage was recently removed, and you seem to be having difficulty holding your pee now- is this also correct? Obviously if you can't hold you pee at all then you aren't getting any more urges (unless you actually are able to hold it at least some, but you didn't say that).

If this is correct, then the most likely thing that has happened is your blockage (based on what you said) was acting more as a valve than your sphincter was. This allowed your sphincter to relax over time (even just a little), so that now the blockage is gone your sphincter is not as strong as it needs to or used to be. If that is the case, then it's actually a good thing since all you will need to do is re-potty train to re-strengthen your muscle. As I had said.

If not, then medications aside, there really isn't a whole lot urologist can do for you. Please trust me on this part, I have quite literally been through every possible option a urologist has in their arsenal. My own problems have also change quite a lot over the years, meaning I have had an unfortunate amount of ranged experience with nearly every single urological problem out there. This is not a joke or understatement either. In addition to this, I found most urologist have little or no idea what they are really even doing. Seriously, have you seen how much guessing and "see if this works" they do? It's no even remotely limited to just me either as I've talked and chatted with a great deal of others. I had to educate myself on it all as a result of my (and their) problems over the years, and while I do not have a degree I am certain I know just as much many urologists out there since I've personally had to educate a bunch of them.

Again, the advice I gave was only based on what little you've mentioned here, and with some logical deductive reasoning, combined with the fair chance I could have misunderstood what you said, then absolutely yes I could be wrong. Still, it's not fair for you to say that I said you should just go with diapers any ways. Especially since I never said that. I merely gave the advice that IF diapers end up being need, that situation is not as bad as it could be.

Hi Brian,
Well, where should I start....
I start with myself and my symptoms.

I have frequent urination's, some end up in my pants due to sudden urges which are hard, next to impossible to control, my bladder signals "I need to go NOW NOW, and without much warning my bladder releases immediately" regardless of the situation, where I am, what I'm doing sitting, standing, laying down, driving etc. sometimes when I get a bit of warning, since not not all urges to wee, come so fast / strong, I have a couple of minutes to locate a rest room (I actually watched my clock a few times just to get a sense on how long time I have before an accident happens - and it's counted in minutes, so yes, I wear protection aka diapers / pull ups depending on the situation I know I'll be in during the day, if I have meetings I use a tape on product, if just a regular day, I'm using pull ups, as I also have noticed I tend to dribble / have small leakages. In fact I have noticed that in situations where I get a bit of warning, my bladder sends a strong signal that it need to go, and occasionally the signal goes away - however from past experience I have learned, that I better head to the restroom straight away when the first warning goes even though the urge subsides again (May be bladder spasm), since when my bladder signals next time which can be 1-2-3-4-5-10 minutes later, I have little to no time to counter it.

In regard to the surgery, my urologist believed the blockage I had removed was causing my bladder to squeeze harder to empty itself, meaning part of the reason for my bladder going into overdrive was the blockage - however they found out during the surgery, that the blockage wasn't that big, 2-5 mm in length., my prostate is also slightly enlarged which again affect my bladder, so the reasons for my bladders bad behavior is not a single issue but more a series of issues - however I have already mentioned to my doctor that there's no chance of me approving a bladderneck surgery, since there's a high chance it will leave me impotent, then I'd rather deal with incontinence.....pest or cholera..

Anyway that's my background and part of the reason I reacted to your way of addressing my problem, as I could just "re potty train" I never considered myself as not potty trained, I know very well that peeing your pants is not ok, and still I have to accept at least for the moment, that I am wetting myself hence why I wear protection to avoid embarrassing situations when out and about having wet pants / or a puddle on the floor. I don't consider diapers a bad thing, if you have a genuine need for them, as they help you carrying on having a job etc.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:50 am 

Ah, I see. Yeah I did not have the full picture so yes I was wrong. My apologies.

You are right that your obstructions are likely the cause, and that yes your bladder is compensating for them by spasing and pushing harder which you feel as an urge. Eliminate the obstruction and your bladder will almost certainly calm back down again. This returning to calm would likely need you to refocus on retaining your pee normally again, most effectively by needing to repotty train.

It's unfortunate your surgery didn't work after all and open you back up as hoped (though yeah even just removing a single 5mm blockage could be all it takes for some, even if there were no other obstructions).

Please do keep in mind what I said though. With these bockages your sphincter is not having to work as hard right now for you to maintain the same level of control as before. Eventually if you do eliminate the blockages this will mean you will need to restrengthen your muscle down there. This is the repotty training I was referring to, not that you are un-potty trained in the least right now. Only that you will need to re-train the muscle much more like needing a booster shot.

The bladder neck surgery, or even prostrate surgery, does sound like what you would need. Though yes, impotence is a possibility with either one. Heck, I developed it from even just my external sphincterotomies- though I personally don't want kids any ways.

I understand how difficult it can be having to choose one problem in exchange for eliminating another, and you have every right (and bit of logic) not wanting to go that route. Thankfully it sounds like your urges are nowhere near as serious or life threatening as mine were, and that you are able to manage it as is, even if pullups/diapers are still needed.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:05 pm 

Apologies accepted :)

I did undergo surgery to have the blockages removed, but to no avail, at least not now. Since it had virtually no effect on my bladders behavior - it still goes ballistic. Instead the slight dribble have worsened - like when I need to go bad, I start to leak in small amounts as I can feel pee escaping out....

My prostate is not dangerous large, only a bit larger than normal for my age, I had blood work done also, which showed no signs of a serious decease like cancer, nor do I suffer from diabetics, thank god.

Anyway Have a second appointment with the hospitals urologist - even though it is stated in my medical records I suffer from incontinence episodes and that I use protection to manage it during day and night now, the test I'm going to is a bit funny. They want me to only pee in a container to see how much I pee, and how much I retain, nothing else no bladder investigations etc. which I'm sort of relieved for that I don't have to - they are less than pleasant.....
Then I have an appointment with my doctor Monday next week, most likely he will suggest miabegron to see if it lessens my symptoms..

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:27 pm 

I really hope you find a way to eliminate your urges though. Feeling like you've been punched in the bladder every hour or two got tiring after a while and is what led me to fully accept diapers after all.

Oh, and regarding possible impotence and diapers. Be aware that even a pullup worn all of the time will trap the heat down there, which will not allow sperm to fully develop. Even without actual impotence you may still have difficulty having kids. If you do still plan on possibly wanting kids later you may want to consider putting some sperm in a sperm bank right now.