www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:36 pm 

My 58 year old brother in law has an upcoming urologist appointment for leakage problems which came up recently. He assumed I would know what he should ask & do to be prepared, but the truth is it is years since I saw a doctor for this so I assume a lot changed since then.
I suggested getting his GP to order all tests the urologist will order. This way he can avoid having to make a second appointment for the results. His GP ordered an ultrasound and urine test, but said they might order more tests but he isn't sure.
I also said he should be prepared with a voiding diary.
Any more advice will be appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:31 pm 

If the urologist decides on a complete workup, tell him to brace himself for some invasive and embarrassing exams. The videourodynamics exam is especially threatening, although it is not painful. Wish him good luck from all of us.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:03 am 

All I can say is that water boarding aint got nothing on the Cystoscopy.... but when you figure out what the heck is going on it is worth it.

Side Note: My cystoscopy was done by the VA and they did start before the numbing agent took effect. I might, or might not, have confessed to every minor transgression as the orderlies held me down. For the record, I really am sorry I cheated on my third grade spelling test. :(

Marcus Aurelius

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:43 pm 

Porkchop,

I have never seen myself as especially brave, but I guess I've had at least a dozen cystoscopies over the years. Embarrassing? With two nurses, three OR technologists, an anesthesiologist, two interns and all presided over by the urologist who does the deed, yes they are. I'm sorry you found them so painful.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:44 pm 

Patrick, I am told that if they had waited for the numbing to work it would've been a different experience.... but they VA often seems to rush things. Anyway, luckily I am okay and learning to live with the diapers rather than dwelling on the negative.

Marcus Aurelius