www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Going into Hospital
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:30 am 

Dear all

Due to my bladder disorder I am going into hospital next week for surgery how do hospitals deal with changes of nappies will I be able to change myself or will the staff need to do it as I will be sleepy after the surgery ?? mum said she will stay with me at the hospital after the surgery I have heard they might put a Catheter in is that correct ??

Nick

Post subject: Re: Going into Hospital
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:28 am 

It all depends on the Doctor and the duration of the surgery whe I went in for my hernia op they left me in my diaper since the operation was an hour and recovery was only 3 hours. If your operating is a long one or the diaper will get in the way of where they need to get to they probably remove it while you are under.

Let the nurses know whe you go for your pre op and when you arrive at the hospital (they will put it on your chart that you require diapers. If you are staying over night then you will probably have a catheter so they do not have to deal with changing your diaper.

Don't worry about it just take a few extra diapers just incase and all will be ok

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:24 am 

In your pre-op consult, you need to mention your incontinence. You should find out how long the surgery is going to last. If it's longer than 2-3 hours, you'll probably be getting a foley. You should also ask about the recovery time and whether you can expect to be admitted to the hospital. If you are a heavy wetter or very partial to your usual diapers, bring a supply of them with you. If you're not a heavy wetter like I am not, the cheap hospital diapers will probably work for you. I have come home in a hospital diaper before after a surgical procedure. Of course you can ask whether they plan on catheterizing you. They won't leave the foley in any longer than is necessary, it is a huge infection risk, especially in the hospital. And catheters aren't supposed to be used just because you're incontinent and its more convenient for the staff than changing diapers......they will let you change yourself should you be able to. But they will change you when you aren't able to do so. The nurse offered to diaper me in the recovery room when she brought my diaper in, I told her I was all set, my wife is a nurse and she was going to do it for me. I don't remember much of it as I was certainly unable to diaper myself. So my wife put my diaper on for me.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:19 pm 

You might inquire about this during your pre-op appointment. One glance at my medical history has been enough to encourage the staff to forbid me to take care of myself. After my sphincterotomy, I had a Foley and bled heavily for three days. I kept the Foley in for seven more days after I came home. The visiting nurse came three times to check on me. If you have a visiting nurse, or its local equivalent, you should expect them to oversee you changing your diaper, to assure themselves that you can do it safely. Because of my brain injury and inner ear disease, medical staff have frequently insisted on this to be sure that I am capable of doing it effectively.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:52 pm 

Thanks Patrick

I hope it will go ok I get worried about going into hospital Pre Op on Friday

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:05 pm 

Good luck on your pre-op!

Marcus Aurelius

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:15 pm 

nicbar1981,

How did your hospitalization go? How is your recovery coming? I hope your fears were allayed and that you are back to normal.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:26 am 

Hi Patrick

Yes was in hospital two night op went well still embarrassing the surgery did not work found out the bladder is damaged I will never regain control

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:34 am 

Hi Nick

Sorry to hear the surgery didn't work and your bladder issue is now perminent.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:45 am 

Just had surgery in July, while I was in recovery my wife came in to change me. I am sure they would allow who ever you choice. They told me they would change me if my wife was unavailable. Make sure they know your condition, it sounds crazy but, if you don't tell the surgery team they wouldn't know if you don't tell them. Information getting conveyed between groups still isn't good, even with the computer age.