www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 10:39 am 

Saw my urologist to discuss the results of my urodynamics testing. Essentially, loss of sensing probably due to pelvic trauma, post-void residual, slow flow. From the urodynamics, could not be sure about OAB.

Urologist prescribed self-intermittent cathing twice a day, morning and just before going to bed (I was relieved that it was not more than that) and doubling up on my Flomax. I hope the nighttime catching lets me get a good night's sleep for a change.

He also prescribed a condom catheter to reduce diaper use for nights and mornings (he understands that, as I am bowel incontinent, I cannot eliminate the diapers totally).

So, I have a learning curve. Just self-cathed for the first time in over 20 years. No problems.

External cath will be delivered.

--John

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 7:16 am 

That doesn't sound too bad, John. What brand of catheter did you get?

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:36 am 

JD, It will be interesting to hear how you like the external catheter. At the strong suggestions from a couple of urologists that I should use an external catheter instead of a diaper, I have tried them on four different occasions over the years. The models that did not attach to the penis with an adhesive leaked consistently, and the models that relied on an adhesive attachment to the penis caused skin irritation far more unpleasant than any diaper rash I've ever had. I also had an extremely embarrassing, catastrophic leg-bag leak at a party that produced a puddle on my boss's oriental carpet. So I'm a died-in-the-wool diaper boy.

Nevertheless, I'm aware that some men prefer external catheters to diapers; and urologists generally think that external catheters are better than diapers. So I'll be interested in what you think.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 4:36 pm 

I don't know any more about it than you guys. When I discussed the external cath with the urologist I confessed to my total ignorance. He said "we know just what you need to get set up, let us handle it." The nurse said that they handle cases like that all the time and would send in a prescription for me to include everything I would need, leg bag, bed bag, tubing, condoms, etc, but that I could change things later. The discussion and activity shifted to getting me samples of intermittent catheters and I forgot to ask what they were prescribing! All is to arrive via UPS.

Inconimiss, I do understand from what I have read that condom cath users are divided on the subject and that some never found a good solution. :(

Also, I explained to my wife that it seemed that condom caths worked usually worked well until there was an embarrassing catastrophic failure. I mentioned that no one knows when I have a diaper leak, but everyone would know if the condom cath failed.

I expect to have a learning curve and a lot of experimentation to work out the bugs. Hopefully, the payback will be that it makes it a little easier to TRAVEL. :D

My wife and I enjoy cruising. Despite my bowel incontinence, that gives us a fixed base of operations from which we can venture forth on shore excursions and return to our cabin without repacking every night. Due to my age I would like to work on a couple of bucket list items that are fairly lengthy cruises - possibly 20 to 30 days each. I have done that when I was only bowel incontinent and only juggled the enemas and two diapers per day. However, with the added urinary incontinence, the volume of diapers required would not be practical. Therefore the possible advantage of intermittent cathing and using a condom cath. The added flexibility provides me with some options for travel. Nonetheless, given my back problems everything is TBD.

--John

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:19 pm 

John,

All my worst accidents happened when I was wearing condom catheters. One happened just four hours after the catheter, which had been applied by two enterostomal nurses as an exercise to teach me how to put the (expletive deleted) thing on, came off. I eventually found a brand whose adhesive worked, but that is another story. If you can make an external catheter work, wonderful. I couldn't.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:50 pm 

Patrick, having read many of the messages in the archives, I am not setting my expectations too high. I realize that condom caths do not work for many people. I am the sort of guy who experiments and uses what works.

However, for yours to fail just 4 hours after you put it on for the first time? That sounds like a story. Care to share?

And I will not have the benefit of the demonstration. :( The darned thing is just going to arrive from the medical supply house.

--John

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:32 pm 

How well sheaths (external caths) stay in place in dependent on

1. getting the right size - too small or too large and they will come off. One ought to supplied with a set of sizes in a sample pack and a measure tool. Take time to get this bit right.

2. Brand can made a difference as they all seem to use different adhesives, It is also important to look at the length of the sheath and the width of the adhesive band.

3. Things go wrong is the tubes get kinked so it is important to check this regularly . I found it easiest to attach the bag on the lower leg as it makes getting the tubing straighter.

Hope that's a good starter. I used to get use Manfred Sauer sheaths and got a good 24 hours before changing and they were not falling of then.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:31 am 

Thanks Wheels. My intermittent caths and my condom cath will be delivered today. As my urologist placed the order for me, I do not know what I will be using. I am sure to have questions.

24 hours before changing?? Wow.

--John

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:45 am 

JD,

No, I did not put the thing on; the therapists put it on me; however, even though they were pros, told to teach me how to do it, it still came off. I did eventually find a brand whose adhesive worked, but it kinked my penis, causing unnecessary pain. I had to run to a toilet to unkink it several times, then gave up the whole external catheter thing as a bad job that caused more discomfort and embarrassment than diapers and plastic pants did. If it works for you, wonderful; it must work for enough of us to make a market for manufacturers. But I could not make externals work.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:19 pm 

Well, I spoke too soon. My condom cath did not arrive from the medical supply house, a measuring device for my penis did. This could be the beginning of many jokes. I must confess that "Extra Large" did not fit. :oops:

Patrick, your experience with condom catheters was most unfortunate, but thank you for sharing that. I'll let all know how mine works out. I suspect it will be a long learning curve. I'll be trying to make my mistakes when I am not around other people. Speaking of learning curves, I am still in the middle of mine with the intermittent catheters.

--John