www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First Urodynamic study
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:30 am 

I sorry for not be very active lately. Trust me but I have been reading your post several times a day. Since the first of the year all my attention has been on a new route for treatment for the condition I have and the symptoms it causes. In about three hours I will be doing a UDS as the first step for the treatment I feel will help me the most and I am a bit nervous. I have read everything I can on it and feel I am as about as prepared as I can be but I am still dreading it.
Wish me luck.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:01 am 

Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:30 pm 

UDS isn't much fun, but you'll get through it. I wish you the best of luck and as always were here for you.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:54 pm 

Good luck Rope!

Please give us a detailed report on which tests you have and how they were conducted - I probably have this coming up in the near future although my primary care doctor did not think the results would be conclusive.

--John

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:13 pm 

My thoughts are with you, Rope. I wish you the very best.

Wetters

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:08 pm 

Thanks everyone for the support. The test was not any fun but please remember I have a condition that can make a test like this more unpresent.
The test was a video urodynamics study. To put it in a but shell, it sucked. One good thing is I had forgotten how much things could hurt don't there. A feeling I will not soon forget.
As for the results, I will have to wait till the 6th to talk to my new doctor. With any luck, with this and the cysto he will do that day I may be a step closer to the procedure I want and get this pain behind me.
Now for any others that are looking at this in their future, don't get too discouraged. From most of what I have read and heard it should have been just mildly uncomfortable. For me it set off a series of spasms that I am still feeling now. Only thing of note that I can say with any certainty is they should have gotten several good readings of the spasms my bladder can do and most cause a good bit of leaking. This should help my case for a better treatment other then just more pills.

As soon as I hear more, I'll post it here. Thanks again for all the kind words.

Rope

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:26 pm 

I have had a urodynamic study before but have not heard of a video study. will have to research that one.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:24 pm 

Video is where they put contrast in the fluid they fill the bladder with and take xrays during the test.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:58 pm 

Rope,

Over the past years I have had three videourodynamics exams. The embarrassment is bad enough; the pain of bladder spasms is far worse.

I remember those spasms as though they were still happening. The Botox injections only gave me temporary relief. I had what my urologists called vesicle/sphincter dyssynergia (my external urinary sphincter clamped shut when my bladder spasmed) causing terrible pain. Rope, if this is happening to you, my heart goes out to you. There is nobody I hate so much as to wish such pain on them. Although I remember the staff working on me, taking pictures and remarking about this or that reading, I was in so much pain that I didn't think to feel embarrassment.

I guess this is one barrier between myself and the AB/DL folks. To this day I wince at the memory of how much I hurt and the fear that it could happen again. I hope I can joke about my incontinence and take it and myself lightly. But, underneath the humor lies the indelible memory of just how much pain incontinence has caused me. Incontinence will never be fun-and-games for me.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:02 pm 

I got the results back from the UDS on Monday during my last visit. According to the notes, i have a VERY small bladder capacity and a VERY weak pelvic floor. From what the doctor told me normal bladder capacity for a guy my age should be about 500ml. my highest volume was only 120 ml and that was pretty uncomfortable. First leak was with something like 42ml infused.
The doctor that did the UDS report recommended bladder botox and/or interstim. My doctor also added a bladder sling to help the bladder gain more control. However when we began discussing the pain symptoms I was having he admitted there was nothing that would help both and doing one will aggravate the other system.
As uncomfortable as the test was, I am glad I had it done. It really helped to put things into perspective on how bad things are.