www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:04 am 

Rope,

Did you discuss a sphincterotomy with your urologist? It may be inappropriate, but it should at least be discussed.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:44 am 

I did Patrick. At first his main focus was the incontinence but when I brought up the pain symptoms and that it was my first concern he agreed that fixing one would worsen the other.
Because a sphinctorotomy is not a recognized treatment for IC he was uncomfortable going that route. He recommend another doctor with a university that has more freedom with in conventional treatments. I am thinking about taking a break form the doctors and pursue this later.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:02 pm 

Rope,

What is a bladder sling?

--John

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:55 pm 

Its kind of like a bladder mesh. It is used t provide support to the bladder to keep it in position and help with some leaking due to weaken pelvic floor muscles.
The first thing that went through my mind were all the commercials to call a lawyers to sue for botched surgeries. I had to come home and google male bladder sling to get a better understanding of what it all intelled.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:43 pm 

I have been wondering how the mesh procedure would help you.Sure it would, perhaps, reduce leaks but with the very, very limited capacity of your bladder you would end up spending all day in the toilet - and all night come to think.

I was a little surprised they weren't talking about an operation to expand the bladder to get you more volume and so reduce the number of times voiding is needed. I suppose Botox injections might calm the bladder muscles down but I can't see it increasing the actual bladder capacity.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:28 pm 

I believe the train of thought behind it would be help the control muscle and hope it would work the bladder enough that it would function more normally. I can't remember if I mentioned this too but the last option was to remove the bladder and make a pouch that would need to be cathed several times a day through a stoma in the abdominal wall. When asked about that he said it would involve a two week stay in the hospital. I don't know about you but I don't see that happening. A diaper may not be the most glamorous route but at least I'm not mutalating my body for " might help".