www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My first colonoscopy
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:57 pm 

Had my colonoscopy today and needless to say, it was an experience while managing my incontinence. Highlights for the two, first in the prep room was being told to take off my clothes and put on a gown. This was a first for me and this was the first of many first for the day. Next was I told the nurse I left my diaper on and asked when did I need to take it off. She said i was next to go in so i needed to go ahead and take it off. I did and waited another 20 minutes. Needless to say I wet the bed waiting. Later when I was wheeled into the procedure room and saw I was going to be on the same bed for the procedure I gathered up my courage to tell the nurse I wet myself. That was right when I was put out. I woke up(kind of) in the same first room with my wife and the discharge nurse. They told me I could get dressed and go and my wife had to remind them about my diaper. I was still somewhat out of it so two nurses came in to put my diaper on and get me dressed. Not only was this the first time someone else put one on me, this was the first time anyone other then my wife has seen me with nothing except a diaper. All and all, it was a stressful morning but the good news is I got a clean bill from my doctor.

Post subject: Re: My first colonoscopy
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:37 am 
Admin

Well done Rope, you certainly have to leave all your dignity at the door for this procedure, that's for sure! :oops: Even more-so for folks who have to wear protection of one form or another, at least the nurses have seen it all, and deal with this every day. Glad you got a good report back! :) Puffy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:47 am 

Thanks Puffy.I am not sure exactly why but the whole thing has been on my mind since and seems to have rattled me some. Not sure why exactly, it is not like I was not expecting something. I just need a few days to process it all.
Oh, something I forgot to mention, because my Mother past away form colon cancer I get to look forward to this every five years rather then 10 like most.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:43 pm 
Admin

Im glad that everything came out just fine :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:53 pm 

Hi, Rope - I'm very happy to hear that your colonoscopy went well as to the test results. Sorry about the wet bed. One would think that the prep nurses would have provided you with a disposable bed pad, since they knew that you would have to wait a while between the time they directed you to remove your diaper and the start of the procedure. I'll bet they'll be better prepared for their next UI patient.

Wetters

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:17 pm 
Admin

I agree Wetters, at the hospital here, ALL the beds get a pad, needed of not, and in that dep't, accidents are inevitable after having to take the prep solution, which I hear is the worst part! :shock: Puffy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:55 pm 

You've got that right, Puffy - Yes, it is!! "Looking forward" to my yearly - yes yearly - colonoscopy next month.

The subject of hospital bed pads reminds me of my last hospital stay (heart attack) in Feb. It took a few hours for them to get a bed ready, so they kept me in the ER temporarily. When I finally got upstairs at about 1 a.m., my bed had a stack of disposable bed pads in place that was something like 1.5 inches high. I felt like the princess and the "pee"! I thought to myself that they must have remembered me from my last hospital stay there 3 years prior when I had a stroke. I wet the bed massively every night. I lived up to my rep this time, too....

Wetters

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:14 pm 

Thanks Wetters and Puffy,

They did have something on the beds there. There was a sheet over bed bet not an actual bed pad, they folded a regular sheet about three feet wide and tucked it in where the pad should have been. It was a make shift bed pad.

Now that I have settled down(some) I am not too upset with the staff. They were actually very professional. This was the first time I was truly in a helpless position and needed help with my incontinence. It was the first time I did not have a shred of dignity left. I didn't like the feeling. Not one bit.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:56 pm 

Rope,
You did your part by informing the staff that you were incontinent; they did their part, I hope, by keeping you clean and changed as needed. One of the biggest challenges for me is the need to check my dignity at the door when I go to the hospital or stand in a TSA line at an airport. Although I regretted reading that you will need to have frequent colonoscopies in the future, you now know what to expect. Perhaps for the next one you will be permitted to bring your own protection, including a capacious bed pad.

Thanks for your report.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:05 pm 

Thanks Patrick. You are right that checking the dignity is the biggest challenge. I think where I messed up was I was not expecting to be that vulnerable. I'm mental picture was more of a twilight sedation and would be more in control. I am a big guy but when it comes to sedation medication, I'm a light weight. I have never drank alcohol or done drugs and only a few time takes the harder pain killers. I am already making plans for when and if the next procedure takes place.
Thanks to everyone that has replied. Its really good to know that my thoughts and feelings on the matter are not odd or out of place.