www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: urology tests
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:26 am 

Hi All
After months of waiting for an appointment I am finally booked in for early February with a urologist,and yes I am dreading the pre meeting test that are part of the course.
I have a 50 ml drive to the hospital and have arrive with a full bladder,I suffer from urge incontinence (I think),I have had 2 lower back ops and incontinence has been a factor for years. yes I am worried about weather or not to wear protection when going to the test.
I can sometimes get away without any protection if I know I have good or easy to find facility's.but can get caught out when in traffic.
Hopefully the urologist will find a solution but I am beginning to think that a choice of good discreet protection is the best plan,what will they prescribe? is medication really an option? the side effect are worrying.
Anyway I know many of you have all been here before and any advice is welcomed.

rorg

Post subject: Re: urology tests
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:12 pm 
Admin

I hope you get some answers to your issues, the tests are tolerable, jsut more embarassing to us, not so much to them. I told the Uro that with the Urg issue I have, when it goes off there is no trying to hold on, he said the full bladder was not necessary, as I would have had problems doing that, strange with Urge issues they ask us to even try? :? If you feel better wearing to go there, then by all means do it, I used a Real Fit for the trip to see him, doubt he even noticed I had it on, good luck, let us know how it goes for you, 8) Puffy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:10 pm 

Thank Puffy for your positive reply.i just checked my booking date and it November not Feb. so next week will let you now how it goes seem crazy that they ask for a full bladder when we all know what that means for us.
:?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:09 am 

Hi there. :)
Well after a day at the hospital and a lot of the usual waiting around between tests.
I have been diagnosed with urge incontinence which I guess I already suspected,but the main thing is that there is nothing else,and its all related to my back issues,operations and Cauda Equina Syndrome.
Anyway I arrived with a not full bladder (as we know what the situation would be otherwise), and drank a liter of water for the flow test which I have to say was not embarrassing at all and all done with bluetooth technology.
The consultants meeting was bit more intrusive but not a problem.
I will see what the med's do I am not too keen on them at all really due to side affects and so on ,but will try them out for the short term.
If things do not improve after 3 moths I have to will undergo further tests.
I concerned with the long term use of medication and I am already on a one a day High blood pressure medication,so do not want to end up with taking a pile of pills to take everyday.
hope this helps anyone out there heading for the same type of tests which might vary from country to country.
Rorg

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:59 am 
Admin

Glad to hear Rorg that all went well. Good luck with the meds, I hope they provide some relief to the urgency issue, and that the side effects are not as bad as they are said to be from those that have tried them. Stay in touch! Puffy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:01 pm 

Hi all again.
well start with the meds at the weekend and if anything i think I am worse than before but maybe its to early to tell, and I am just being impatience.
I will keep on them for another while and see if there is any change.

rorg

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:29 pm 

I had all the usual tests when I attended the urology clinic following a referal from my Doctor. Prostate exam was shock first time, but the rest were not a problem, flow test bladder scan and check to see if I had emptied fully plus a couple of blood tests. The second visit wasn't bad because I knew what to expect. I think once you get over the initial embarasment it isn't a problem. Even chatting to a very pretty 30 something continence nurse wasn't difficult. The main thing is to get checked out. Now I know I don't have cancer or anything serious I can get on with my life. I have learned how to cope with the incontinence. I take Vesicare to help with the symptoms. It does seem to control the daytime problems to some extent but does nothing for my night time wetting.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:06 am 

HI Again.
After a few months now;as previously written I was prescribed Vesitirim which after a while i found the side affects too much, Dry mouth and throat.and also made no great difference in helping me get through the day so I stopped it. and now I am just back to managing with pads and pull ups.
I have another appointment to see the consultant so will go from there again.no doubt more tests to follow as meds were not working for me.
l know at least that there is no prostate issues and that its all from nerve damage from two back ops.
I am self employed and find trying to manage through a working day is tricky at times and much of my job is and has been quite physical,doctors are saying I should find a new type of job thats not so hard on the back but even seeking the right type of new job is not easy.one at least where you can run to the toilet as needed without embarrassment.
Anyway learning to live with urge type incontinence is interesting and this site is great for the support and advice everyone gives here.
:) :)
Rorg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:25 am 

Rorg,

Kudos to you for doing everything you can. Sometimes, talking to your doctor about incontinence is the hardest step. I too went round robin with my uro with a bunch of possible cures thrown my way that seemed worse the the condition itself. My biggest suggestion to you is not to stop or change your job. When I first got to the point of needing protection other then a pad, iI thought about quitting my job too. I am a firefighter and having to wear a uniform did not leave me with many options. My suggestion to you is try a lot of different products out and find what works for the situation at hand. I started out using pull up styles at work because I was too worried about it showing under my clothes. After a spoke with some of my crew, I learned it was not obvious in any way. The problem I had was a pull up did not offer me much time between changes and left me with leaks when I was stuck on an extended call.
I then swallowed my pride and began to try tape on diapers. My main hang up with those were the way they looked but there came a point where I needed performance more a normal look. Then after I gave them a honest try, I learned no one could tell and even if they could, they could not care any less what you "might" have on.
Remember, you can do just about all the same stuff you could before. You may need to change up the protection a little but it can be done if you want it. Don't stop your job just because of bladder problems. If this turns into a long term problem there will be a point where you will learn to manage this and move on and if you quit and give in to the leaks and wetting you will regret it for a long time.

Best of luck to you.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:29 pm 

Ropewrench, I wholeheartedly agree with you. Incontinence is certainly a nuisance, but it need not be lifestyle-changing disability. When we find the right products and muster the courage to use them as needed, it is possible to go on with life and do almost anything that we could do before we became incontinent.