www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: recurring uti
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:45 pm 

I am dealing with what I assume is a uti- the second one in as many years. Last spring my incontinence went from daily dribbling, bedwetting (not everynight) and the occasional major wetting during the day (less than once a month) to having major daytime accidents 2 or more times per day and increased night time problems. I was tested for uti (not found) but given a week's course of abx which barely touched the problem and then a two week stint on CIPRO when I was quickly becoming unable to pass any urine at all. That solved that problem, and a lot of the daytime accidents; now, about 15 months later, I am up to my neck in another uti. It seems to have traveled up my body- upper chest and mid-lower back pain, especially when I cough (asthma, I assume- it's usually not very severe). Incontinence (right now) is about as bad as it ever has been (for me- I can still make it to the bathroom most times, if I'm close), but I'm wondering if I can expect this to be the norm for me. Are some people prone to these infections, and if so, is there something I can do in a preventative manner? My urologist simply says it's OAB and we may never know the real cause of it- this despite a history of urethral strictures following an encounter with a catheter some years ago. I am indifferent about having to wear diapers, so if that is the management technique for the urine loss, well, so be it. But my sister is very concerned about these infections, and now, I'm starting to be. Should my doctors be doing more than they are? A recent cystoscopy showed nothing to be concerned about and a flow rating went very well. My PSA is less than 1. Any insight offered would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: recurring uti
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:12 pm 

A UTI is nothing to be casual about. It can destroy your kidneys, and, left untreated, can be lethal. Be sure your doctors have truly ruled it out, then go from there. Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:18 pm 

As the above post said, a UTI is nothing to be casual about. It can be very serious. You need to let your doctor know that you and your sister are very concerned about your condition. I suggest that you copy and past your post to your word processor then print it and give it to your doctor. Let him/her read it.

You have stated your concerns very well.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:21 pm 

Unfortunately yes. Some people can be so prone to getting a uti that even a cold can bring one on. However, if you've been tested for it with no signs of one then I'd be inclined to believe you don't have one.

This said, with your pain moving like that I do believe you have something else going on. What correlation you could have from chest pain to lower back pain is beyond me though, but points to something else urinary. With OAB or even urge incontinence, you pain "should" all be centered around your bladder and/or sphincters. Possibly you kidneys (lower back), but certainly not your chest though.

You may want to follow up with your doctor again, but NOT looking at urinary problems at all. It's possible you could have something completely different going on, but you're too focused on a uti to understand what that is.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:48 pm 

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I am about 4-5 days into a 2 week course of CIPRO, and I am noticing improvement. I gotta say, there had been some unusual symptoms.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:10 pm 

Well, it turns out I don't have a uti- probably a bladder or kidney infection - I still don't know for sure but my gp changed my abx to something else and two days in I am seeing some real improvement. This still leaves me in the dark about what is going on in my body. The CIPRO did decrease the frequency of my incontinence - significantly - even if only for a few days. Any advice regarding what questions I should ask my urologist?

Last edited by jeffswet on Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:39 am 

Actually the bladder and kidneys are part of your urinary tract, so it sounds like you DO have a urinary tract infection.

If you did get a slight improvement, but not enough to get you back to normal, then you may want to ask if the cipro is strong enough. See if your doctor wants to increase the dose or go with a stronger antibiotic.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:23 pm 

Sorry to resurrect an old post but I have a question.
Does having one UTI increase in any way the likelihood of having another? If so, is that only true because of an underlying cause? Or doesn’t having the infection itself for whatever cause make someone more likely to have another?
Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:43 pm 

In the years before my sphincterotomy I must have had two or three UTIs. Each time I was given powerful antibiotics, which worked. I was afraid that the sphincterotomy would permit more UTIs, but that has not happened. UTIs can be the pits, and they can be lethal, so treat them accordingly.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:55 am 

Suffering from a UTI is the worst discomfort I've probably experienced. For those of you who have recurring UTIs like me, I would highly recommend looking into the natural supplement D-Mannose. D-Mannose is the active component in cranberries that makes them effective against UTIs but it is in a concentrated form, possibly making it more effective than cranberries. It has a pleasant sweet taste. Just mix it with water to help prevent UTIs. You can even use it to counteract an ongoing UTI but you should still get an antibiotic which is more powerful as a UTI is a very serious infection. As a disclaimer, I'm not a doctor, I just like to research natural treatment options. D-Mannose has worked for me for years as far as prevention. The D-Mannose prevents bacteria from sticking to the walls of your bladder.