www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: gastroparesis
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:50 am 

I neglected to mention that my spinal injury (two fractured vertebrae plus three compressed discs) is caused by Marfan's Syndrome, a genetic disease. I have not found a neurosurgeon who would touch it. I have not had the smart pill, I guess because the gastric emptying tests have given my doctors everything they seem to want to know about my situation.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:42 pm 
Admin

Patrick,
I have an autonomic neuropathy. I am having a gastric emptying test soon at Mayo Clinic. They are evaluating my digestive system dysfunction. I have GI symptoms of nausea, GERD, early satiety, dysphagia, bloating, and bowel incontinence. I had a swallow study and anorectal monometry last week. The GI put me on some meds to start out with. I'm am also have an endoscopy with dilation of my esophagus. I had this done once before. So far, Mayo has been pretty good at taking care of my condition. After a few visits, I had a name for my disorder, and a known cause. The GI said she can't cure it, but she can at least make it better. As for the neuropathy, there is no known cure.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:00 am 

Don,

Your situation sounds similar to mine. It is exasperating. Sometimes I want to scream and lash out, but what good would that do? I am grateful for diapers and for the folks on this site. I really need to vent from time to time, just blow off steam when my situation has become difficult. I hope my contribution here justifies my use of this site for venting.

Keep up the good work. Knowing that we are not alone can make a huge difference.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:51 am 

I have had suspected GP episodes in the past so I have been taking mental notes. Two nights ago I had another, which included three hours of severe pain.

The first episode happened when I was up at a remote cabin. I felt a need to use the outhouse, so I got out of the sleeping bag and as I left the cabin I felt nauseous and puked in the grass. I very soon afterwards experienced some diarrhea before I got to the outhouse, which was inconvenient.

More recently, I have had two episodes at home where I got nauseous after dinner. Once I threw up and another time I got over it, after which I was totally fine.

Up until this point, I never had any associated pain. But two nights ago, I had two Hawaiian pizza slices and one beer. Then about bed time I experienced some serious back pains. Later on it was evident that I was having intestinal cramps which were bad. After throwing up, I spent the next few hours trying to reduce the pain by sitting, lying on the couch and walking around. Nothing much worked but eventually it subsided just enough that I could lie in bed. I was so tired that I eventually fell asleep, which was merciful. I woke up fine in the morning. I was worried I might have low glucose in the morning but that was "normal".

I've had discussions with another fellow who experiences these (and much more) at a different site and I am convinced that I sometimes experience gastroparesis also. My wife doesn't believe it, thinking it was the flu or some such. In all of these cases, I have been fine stomach-wise after it is over, so I discount the flu. Apparently GP is prevalent with diabetes, with which I struggle (and am IC because of).

There seems to be some common elements to these episodes:
  • They occur after dinner (the largest meal), so wisdom suggests eating smaller meals
  • At least twice, there were 1-2 beers involved.
  • I had no lasting stomach effects afterwards (like the flu would entail)

So now I am resolved to start keeping a log. After the last episode (that I don't want to repeat), I need to log these for the benefit of the doctor(s) and for myself. There is some good information here https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/gastroparesis/ about the disease.

I generally don't drink but because of my kidney stone history, the nursing staff encouraged me to have a beer now and then to flush the kidneys out. My take away from all this is that I will have to time it better if I continue with this and keep to smaller meals.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:27 pm 

Frequent smaller meals are a recommended GP management technique. Vomiting and diarrhea are common among GPers. GP is commonly found among diabetics, which makes beer problematic. My problem is that I vomit in my sleep; I waken with a start, unable to breathe. Good luck and let's keep this conversation going.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:33 am 

Patrick wrote:
My problem is that I vomit in my sleep; I waken with a start, unable to breathe.

That's terrible. I hope it is a rare event for you!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:37 pm 

As long as I can manage my GP effectively, I do not have this trouble. However, when I relax my management, even a little, this can happen.