www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:43 am 

I fought wearing diapers for several years. I was having trouble getting to the bathroom in time and tended to spurt. I became chronically anxious about accidents. My therapist told me to try wearing a diaper to see if it helped my anxiety. It did. I finally admitted to myself I needed to wear diapers 7 x 24 to lead anything approaching a normal life.

I wear disposable diapers under cotton briefs and rubber pants to contain leaks in case I overflow my diaper. It gives me a chance to change before my outerwear becomes obviously wet. I hate changing in public restrooms, though I have done it many times. I lose lots of urine when I start to pee and can't stop. I don't really worry much about leaks anymore. I suffer from almost debilitating anxiety unless I am wearing diapers.

I have good days and wet days, but I am always protected. I was turning into a hermit until diapers liberated me. People don't notice or comment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:50 am 

Have you been to a medical doctor to determine the cause of your bladder control problems? Your therapist might be correct in suggesting that you wear diapers to quell the anxiety about wetting yourself but that doesn't address the underlying cause of why you are wetting. If you haven't been diagnosed then you should see your doctor. It could be something that can be fixed such as an enlarged prostrate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:44 pm 

This sounds like some minor incontinence compounded by a stress disorder. I would really recommend seeing a doctor along with your therapist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:30 pm 
Admin

I just don't see a therapist telling someone to wear diapers as a coping mechanism for anxiety. I have really bad anxiety and my therapist and I work to find other ways to resolve it. My therapist would never recommend a coping device such as a diaper. My therapist would tell me to go see a doctor. I have seen like 4 or 5 different ones too and none of them would do this. A good therapist would find a way to nullify the thing that one is anxious about. And it wouldn't be a suggestion to just wear diapers to see if it goes away. This goes against everything I have learned in therapy, and I've studied psychology and also been in therapy for my Bipolar for 3 years. This just isnt plausible.

If this really did happen to you, then you should go see a doctor. Having incontinence is not a normal part of anxiety. I have heard of stress incon from anxiety in rare cases, but still, a doctor is warranted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:30 am 

my therapist did not recommend that I wear diapers right away. I was dealing with a number of anxiety issues and was on anti-depressants for awhile. The meds did not work well for me and I didn't like the side effects. When I got off the anti-depressants, I became very anxious about having accidents. The anxiety was getting in the way of me working on other issues. That was when my therapist told me to try diapers to see if they would help that part of my anxiety. They did and I have been wearing them ever since. I don't like having to deal with wearing diapers, the cost, the need for planning, changing them, etc, but is it all worth it compared to the way I felt before. I guess have become diaper dependent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:49 am 
Admin

What we are trying to say is that you don't want to be diaper dependant. Unless you have some alterior motive about wearing diapers. You said you have tried anti-depressants to cure your anxiety? Have you been to a regular doctor and tried bladder medications? If not, you really need to see a doctor to have some tests done. You should not just accept wearing diapers. This is not a good thing. Also for anxiety you can take benzodiazapines such as Xanax, Klonopin, or Ativan. They can help curb your anxiety. But the most important thing is to go se your doctor. Do not just accept this condition!!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:00 pm 

I know where Westway is coming from. I feel the same way. And I do go to doctors but no answer. I went today and sent me for more blood test. It is less stressful to wear a diaper than to worry about what if. I don`t depend on the diaper and some days I never leak either bowel or urine.Those days I just wear it and change when I take a shower as your would change you underwear. We do a lot of road trips and I was all ways wondering if I would make it to the next rest area.We have a pretty long RV trailer and you don`t just stop any where.I all ways worried about going through places like Orlando,Atlanta, and other big city's. It puts my mind at ease to just wear and think of it like a spare tire.You hope you don`t need it but nice to have it if needed.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:22 am 

I agree with Don. Its not fun to wear diapers.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:57 pm 

Wearing diapers is better than having an accident without them.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:55 pm 
Admin

I'm not saying it isn't. I'm just saying that a medical evaluation is warranted. If your doctor can't fix it, then fine. Wear the diapers. But don't just accept the incontinence and wear the diaper. At least go to the doc.