www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:38 pm 

I see that this topic, that wasn´t recent, is being popular again and having some participation...and I believe it´s a very important theme to us. I think it is evident that calling positive the need of using a diaper, with all the connotations it has is a bit shocking, but actually it´s what has been repeated, what life would we have if we hadn´t the diapers? Most of us wouldn´t dare to exit from their house, all of us know the sensation of wearing wet clothes and the commentaries and lookings from others in the street is very hard to asume. So, if it´s not strictly positive because we have no choice, it is a very important thing to help us to do a normal life. I agree totally with lynnk2104 in the way we share the problem with our friends and relatives, All my close friends and family know about my incon and I truly believe they don´t treat me different as they would if I didn´t wear the diapers and they are quite comprehensive and cooperative with it, and I prefer that of being hiding it and always worried if someone discovers something that I don´t want them to know. I have some friends <i did when I had the accident during my staying in the paraplejic hospital of spain, and when I hear them speak about this they seem to regret more the fact of being incontinent than to be in a wheelchair, and that shows how important can this problem be for some persons. I don´t think it is positive, but I thank to have such good products that make me live almost as before I became incontinent. That isn´t postive, but with no doubt better than wet or soil clothes so it´d be evident to anyone, even those whom we don´t want to know about it (and I admit that in work, univsersity or similar you con go telling about it, I just do it with the friend I trust, because if everybody knew it would be a huge handicap. That´s why I think it´s not positive, but the result is close to it. )

And I also think it´s terrible what they do with ancient people and kids for the fact of wetting, it´s very unfair and an example of why a diaper can have a result "near to positive!" for us the incontinent. Salutations!!

Duque

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:15 pm 

NEVER .. as in NEVER EVER .. has airport security been a problem for me .. NEVER. I travel extensively and internationally on airline flights as long as 15-hours one way. BUT .. I have absolutely not-one-whit of shyness nor embarrassment about my situation having dealt with it for many decades.
I prefer the disposables with booster pads at night due to the odor of cloth diapers .. and the washing of them and the drying of them. I just gave-up-that-fight and use the disposables. A select group of my close friends and associates know about my issue as do all of my medical professionals. I too .. like many of us .. have a great and fully understanding wife who supports me with this issue. GOOD LUCK AND BEST WISHES to you as you deal with full acceptance .. REMEMBER .. acceptance does NOT MEAN APPROVAL .. what is .. is .. so accept it. Again .. Best Wishes ..

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:05 am 

Wearing diapers can be pretty upsetting and stressful. But the alternative of not wearing is usually even more embarrassing. Small steps can be the key. Over the years you will learn to have confidence and be able accept the reality of the situation. And be sure to talk to your doctor as treatment can help lessen the symptoms.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:52 am 
Initially, trying out diapers at night in bed was going against every grain of experience I had had heretofore. Wetting myself willingly was a bit hard to get used to in the beginning, but now that I've been in diapers at night (urinary incontinence only in that I have an ileostomy and bag for that!) I look forward to putting them on before bedtime and feeling that I'll be dry come morning (due to the amazing wicking power of the ones I use) and can wet with abandon as it were! No need to get up to pee and no trouble getting back to sleep after a wetting episode. So, absolutely, wearing diapers has been a most positive thing in my life.

Daytime I'm in a condom catheter which is just as comforting. I am not limited in any kind of activity, and I don't have to know where the nearest bathroom is. I can drive for long distances without stopping whereas before it was about every hour, and the race to the bathroom was nip and tuck while trying not to spurt unwillingly. Not a problem now. And imagine to my delight that I can sit through a movie or a sporting event while I observe others around me having to get up to use the bathroom! Gotta look at this positively, and I realize I am most fortunate not to have to deal with bowel incontinence and the awful health issues with which any of you have had to deal.

JAYTEE

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:29 am 

Inconinmiss wrote:
Being incontinent means that I cannot control my urination, so I need a diaper to enable to do all the ordinary things people do. They are a positive factor because of the freedom they give me.

On a completely different level, being incontinent and needing diapers has made me appreciate the wide range of problems that people with disabilities and members of minority groups face. In a strange way, incontinence has made me a more compassionate person than I would otherwise have been. And that's very important.

Same here. When I got to the stage I needed to wear protection all the time at first I was very resentful but soon I realised compared with others wearing a nappy wasn't such a big deal.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:52 pm 

the funny thing is that I bet those of us here who put on spectacles each morning don't 'blink an eye' at doing so but these are just as much a sign that our bodies don't work right as my hearing aid, nappies (diapers in N America) or any other things we need to start the day.

Oh, and you can't count the wheelchair - it's more or less cheating sitting comfortably in queues at the supermarket! :o

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:32 am 

wheels5894 wrote:
the funny thing is that I bet those of us here who put on spectacles each morning don't 'blink an eye' at doing so but these are just as much a sign that our bodies don't work right as my hearing aid, nappies (diapers in N America) or any other things we need to start the day.

Oh, and you can't count the wheelchair - it's more or less cheating sitting comfortably in queues at the supermarket! :o

Very well said! It does take a while to figure that out but it is better to use whatever medical solutions that let you lead a productive and quality life. Don't hate the solution. It is there to improve your options. I know people that say they hate their wheelchairs. They figure out that it's not the wheelchairs fault when I ask them what their quality of life would be without it. Likewise, it's not the diapers fault I have bladder and bowel problems. My quality of life would be much less if diapers weren't an option.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:31 am 

Wearing diapers is one of the best decisions I've made. I feel as if I have been set free the whole change thing took some getting used to. I now realise the benefits of wearing diapers far out strip this annoyance. I wish I had reached this decision years ago as my life is such a lot better now as I can do a lot more.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:54 pm 

greenbank wrote:
Wearing diapers is one of the best decisions I've made. I feel as if I have been set free the whole change thing took some getting used to. I now realise the benefits of wearing diapers far out strip this annoyance. I wish I had reached this decision years ago as my life is such a lot better now as I can do a lot more.

--------------------------

Thanks, Greenbank. You put succinct words to how I feel, also. I met a person in an incontinence support group some years ago who set me to thinking that way, based on her personal experiences with incontinence. It was essentially the same philosophy as you now voice so well.

John.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:13 am 

In regard to handling my accidents, I have to say yes. I can continue livng my life as I used to, with minimal to no affect on my day to day life.
However in every other aspect, I say no. It's humiliating having to wear absorbant pads or wahtever they are called.
Maybe I'll get used to it over time, but at the moment, I can't say it has been positive for me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next