www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:41 pm 

Yes the diapers has become a plus but not at frist.Was not a child bedwetter so was not on that road,but started having problems when older wet pants and other accidents.Thank goodness for better diapers today then times like Joe talkes about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:45 pm 

Well, for me, i can say wearing protection is a positive thing, based on my history of putting up with wet underwear.. and skin rashes as a result. Now, is it positive for everyone? Of course not. But for those of us who have trouble controlling our bladder or bowel, having proteciton on gives peace of mind. It gives insurance against social embarassment. Of course, it would be grand if the incontinence can be stopped altogether.. i don't think there's a person here who wouldn't want a cure for their incontience to have normal bladder control. However, for many of us..that is not reality. Wearing a diaper may be a reminder of that..and it may be a trigger for depression.

So yes, diapers are a positive thing insofar as they allow a life without wet pants..but negative insofar as they reiterate the fact that there are things the body cannot control. It depends on one's mindset and attitude. Two ways to go about this. The first one is to realize and acccept that the body is not entirely under one's control, and the bladder leaks due to a medical condition, and diapers being an alternative form of underwear that help. In this way, it can be seen postive because it helps one be normal by making up for the leaky bladder. The other way to look at is your'e not in control of youreself, normal people dont wet themselves your not normal.. diapers are for babies.. humilation..etcetera.

I think it is normal to alternate between these two mental states in the course of one's life, at least from my experience. Now, it must be noted that the whole diaper positive thing is more apt to apply to those dealing with only urinary incontience. Dealing with both bladder and bowel incotninece is likely to be much more difficult to deal with and much more hard to deal with with an "its ok" mentality. The reason being is that fecal incontinence involves odor, and necessisitates an immediate change. Since the odor is unmistakable, it is hard to go unnoticed in a soiled diaper in public. This would draw people's attention toward the incontinent individual, with negative thoughts through the mind, and the person would be likely to feel depressed. In this situation, it is probably much harder to see diapers as positive.

Its not uncommon to have mixed feelings about diapers, sort of a love-hate relationship. You hate the fact you have to wear them, but they give you security and peace of mind, which you like.

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:20 pm 

The only thing positive about wearing a diaper is the peace of mind that it brings. I can accept the fact that I need them right now but I would rather not have to deal with them at all. That said I am glad that they allow me to remain active and not be constantly worried about leaving the house.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:49 am 

Wearing diapers is a non invasive way for me at 29 to live a "normal" life with my wife and two young children. I had very little choice after my accident either Wet, Cath, or diaper.

Overall, the diapers have added a financial cost to my life, a minor inconvenience which is getting even more minor now that diaper technology is getting much much better, and a unique sight if I catch a glimpse of myself in a mirror (which believe me doesnt happen often when im in a diaper).

I guess I'm trying to say for me it was the right choice for me, and my life is still 99% the same. Now the interesting question would be how has it changed your partners life?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:58 am 

If I had been a bed wetter when I was young, the struggle I have gone through with needing to wear diapers would have been much easier. I would have to say for me that wearing diapers has now become a positive thing for me. Like many others have said, without the diapers I wouldn't be able to live the life I am living.

I am at the point that the doctors really don't have anything else other than a major surgery to stop my wetting. I explained to my doctor that I have come to terms with wearing diapers 24/7 and they are not stopping me from living a quality of life that I want. Most doctors find wearing diapers a failure on their part, but I find it a way to keep living. My doctor was amazed at how I am dealing with this and other health problems I have. He said most others would have filed for disability and gave in. I told him, that I was a fighter and this part of me having to wear diapers is nothing more than others wearing underwear, the only difference to me is that I have to change mine more often. I told him I am not going to let wearing diapers slow me down or stop me from living.

So wearing a diaper to keep my clothes and bed dry and being able to work, go out of the house, and be who I am is a positive thing.

This isn’t' something that very many people know about me and it isn't something that I share openly either. Over the years I have found out that I can still do most of what I want to do and no one can tell or knows that I am wearing diapers.

Changing a wet diaper is easier than wet pants.
Kent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:39 pm 

A few weeks ago I would have said that there was allmost nothing positive about the diapers, but after a long talk with a friend of mine (we talked about the pros and cons of my new job, I was over stressed and almost quit) I can honestly say that overall it is a positive thing. My friend suggested that I make a list of all the good things and the bad things, and weigh it all out. Since I have made and accepted the switch, my stress level is actually much lower. I am no longer constantly worried about finding an open rest area, this job is stressfull enough without having to hope that I can stop and make it into a rest room in time. I dont worry as much about weather or not Im gonna hit construction, or be delayed by weather. I dont worry as much about leaking all over company property, and then having to explain to my boss that it happend because I wanted to maintain my pride. I am stoping less and actually making my deliveries early, and I am making more money because of it.
Yes it is still embarrasing that I have to wear them, but I can tell you from experience that wet pants are a lot more noticable than a little extra padding down there.
It also taught me something about myself, I used to tell myself that I didnt care what other people thought of me, that why I was getting so many tattoos. And then something as minor as a diaper and that other people might think they are for me, and that they might thing less of me because of it, it really woke me up. Maybee Im not all that I thought I was, it really made me think.
Now can something that causes one to have that kind of personal realization be all that bad? I say no.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:10 am 

It has allowed me to get out of my house and experience life again. I can go to a movie again, and stay for the entire movie. I can sleep through the night and wake up with dry sheets. There are many other things but it's late and I'm past my bedtime.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:40 am 

Good attitude seattledoug. It's so easy to get caught up in the negative :roll: Keeping a positive attitude makes it all much easier :)
.........................Sandy :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:49 pm 

Personally, I HATE diapers! though these times it does depend on my mood upon awakening. I usually wake heavily wet and often times soiled, and in pain as well from other health problems. sometimes it is a case of get up and get on with it, but other times..
because i get hit with so much trouble in the morning, the soiled nappy just pushes me over the edge and i think 'why the f**k do i bother'.
i have no relief from illness and in fairness, you should be able to feel some relief when you are in bed. so i blame the nappy for putting me in a bad mood quite often! :x

but like everything, there are positives to it as well, the bed isnt wet or soiled, i dont embarress myself in pubic, well not with wet pants anyway.. :roll: and wearing nappies allows me to get on with life.

mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:03 pm 

well... i dont know if i could say if it is a positive thing in my life or not.. it has given me dating issues... and i have always wore them due to a defect in my nerves and brain that i was born with... i suppose dry clothes is a positive..but having to find a place to change and worrying about odor is a negative... also having to change in the middle of a date sucks...out of the 10 dates i have had to change on .. only one of them actually stayed... so..there are negatives..but the dry clothes i think might outweigh all of those ...well really i dont know..i am going to say it is a positive thing if it saves your clothes , your bed , and saves you from embarrassment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next