www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:40 pm 

Great question & a great topic! To start I've learned things that I have never thought about before nor did I want to and thats for sure. At first I was was worried about what people might think if they found out but in a short time found out that no one could really tell. I found that my choice of clothes I wear really matter to nobody but me & as long as I'm comfortable that is all I care about. I do plan much better now in most everything I do. I have less respect for a lot of Doctors. I detest medications. I've lost weight which is something I've needed to do. I have confided in friends more. I after almost 21 years of marrage really understand how much my wife means to me.

Some of the downsides are needing to change within a given period of time. The cost. The cost. The cost! Missing not running around in my underware through the house. (I really miss that) The need to be careful after jumping out of the shower that I don't make a mess. Timing bowel movements so I am not wearing a brief & wearing pulls ups so I don't ruin a perfectly good Eurobrief. Having a couple of beers withing a short period of time. Those are some of the things that come to mind.

Bottom line however is that not a lot has really changed. I do everything I always did. I run my business as I always did and am doing just fine. The few times I have been feeling sorry for myself I look around and can always find someone who has it a heck of a lot worse than me. And when I do see those people its interesting to note that they have a smile on their face so why shouldn't I?

Post subject: for dlb0417
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:58 am 

All I can say is good for you. It takes time to get adjusted. I have been dealing with incontinence eversince 1978. Being hit by a car and having a skull fracture leading to epilepsy and incontinence.
I took a long time to get adjusted. Dealling with the seizures is really a bad thing to deal with on it's own, but being incontinent due to the head injury made it some thing else. It has been several years now and I accept it as part of life. I to use cloth diapers for my incontinence. I used disposables for several years and the cloth with plastic pants I found to be more reliable and much more comfortable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:46 pm 

So many things have changed. In a way being disabled makes things worse. But then again I often feel people don't expect you to be continent so. You have to plan more. You have to be aware of whats going on how long you will be gone if you leave your home. How many diapers etc to have with you. Places where you can change. I have to be on track with my bowel program or I just don't go anywhere period.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:15 pm 
Admin

Ever since I became ill, I tend to notice the small things now. Incontinence isn't the only thing I suffer from. I like to sit on my porch swing and watch the birds. I enjoy my kids more and I try to relax and enjoy life as much as I can. I try not to let diapers get me down. I still roam around the house in my "underwear" when nobody's home. LOL. I did that before I became incontinent and its comfortable so why stop just because I have to wear diapers. I too have learned that I hate medications. I have tried numerous bladder drugs all to no avail. My incontinence is actually blamed on my Bipolar medication. I have that to thank for my bladder and bowel incontinence. My bipolar medication has given me my life back but it causes alot of crazy side effects.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:02 am 

I have nocturnal Myclonic seizures. I wet the bed at night only. I went on Klonopin and started wetting the bed. Over the last two year my wife left me because of this. Do I like wearing a diaper at night NO. Just looking to see what real people feel and do.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:23 pm 

It sure makes me think before I head out the door. Do I have enough capacity or do I need to change? Traveling distances I switch to a heavy diaper to make sure I don't have to stop and change a lot. I too have slowed down because of the numbness in my legs I can't do the things I once did. Being disabled has it's advantages but also it's downside.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:00 am 

diaperdan wrote:
It sure makes me think before I head out the door. Do I have enough capacity or do I need to change? Traveling distances I switch to a heavy diaper to make sure I don't have to stop and change a lot.

Same here, hate to "waste" a diaper that isn't used to near capacity though.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:00 pm 

I sure have to think when leaving the house where going ,how long, in the car, is there any restrooms near. I have adjusted more over the yrs,but is still mind game. My wife is so understanding she never pokes fun at me about the diapers.