www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Friends and relatives
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:53 am 
Admin

Since you became incontinent, how does your family, co-workers, and friends deal with it? Do they support you?

Post subject: Incontinence and others
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:02 am 

My incontinence is only known by a few ppeople. My wife, of coarse, and only one co-worker that I know for sure. I'll bet a lot of people may suspect I wear diapers, but no one has said anything to me. My one co-worker who knows(a female) supports me and even gives me some suggestions some times. She has IBS and I've sometimes loaned here some of my diapers. .....................Paul Martin

Post subject: famly etc.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:38 pm 

When my incontinence started keep it from people for awhile but as time moved on had more trouble told my wife she is real supportive she might have wondered my rushing to restroom when we were out it still hard to deal with.

Post subject: Keep it pretty private!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:20 am 

I am a life long incon with wetting. Bowel control came along normally but never developed the connections for bladder to brain.

Because little was known in those days of my youth, it was thought to be merely a case of late development. Family pride however kept the fact that I was diapered a secret from the outside world so the family would not be embarassed. Kids were toilet trained by a certain age or the mother was considered at fault!

I think each of us has to be comfortable with what we tell the "world" and what we chose to keep private. I've always kept my diapers private and its worked out very well for me. No co-workers have ever known. And very few friends know.

So only family knew and the secret of my wearing diapers was kept strictly within the family.

JoeK

Post subject: How did yo do it?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:45 am 

Joek you said you were born in the late forties and raised in diapers, so was I. How did you keep it a secret from those outside the family and at school? I wore diapers to school also and there was no way to hide the buldge under my clothes, Everybody in school and the neighborhood knew I wore them.

Post subject: Family responses
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:48 pm 

I think I'm very fortunate; my wife has been wonderfully supportive and helpful, although I manage all the diapering, laundry, etc. myself. She even did some research when she noticed some odor from my vinyl pants, and found ideas that prevent that now. My 18 y.o. daughter who lives with us knows, and I'm pretty sure my 22 y.o. daughter is aware as well, although she lives away now.

My parents and sister are also aware, and I've been able to help my parents with my dad's incontinence, which is worse since some dementia has set in. I have only told one friend. All in all, I have nothing but terrific support and encouragement for my continuing my career and activities from all who know.

Gimwet

Post subject: Hiding cloth diapers
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:23 am 

Hi Boomer,
I would credit my mother's sewing skills for both compact diapers and clothing that hid the diapers. I do remember wearing bib overalls a lot, which has carried over and remain my favorite apparell and as much for the pockets and comfort as for the ability to make a diaper disappear.

JoeK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:24 pm 

only my mom knows and my dad and my future wife knows that i wear them for the night

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:39 pm 

schoppy wrote:
Since you became incontinent, how does your family, co-workers, and friends deal with it? Do they support you?

Family - wife just accepts that I need to wear protection, as for any other family members, no one knows.

Co-Workers - I have been able to keep my incontinence hidden from them. I pray that I can maintain the level of incontinece or less so they don't have to know.

Friends - I have only one right now that knows and he has given some support.

For me, I am dealing with my incontinence as privately and quietly as I can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:00 am 

Other than the inconvenience of having to wear "protection", I don't really think that it has changed my life too much. I do all the things which I used to do, and more.

My 4 grown-up children know about my "little problem", and support me. They tease me occasionally.....but I give as good as I get! I have no problem with that, we have a good sense of humour in our family, and I know that they love me to pieces..... I'm a widower, but when my wife was alive, she was amazingly supportive. My mother died many years ago, and didn't know. My father is 89yo, he has had his own prostate problems, and although we don't get-on too well, he is also supportive.

So how has my inco changed my life? Not at all, really, I just get on with it.....and enjoy life to the full.

Life is good, even with wet nappies............