www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:45 am 
Admin

When you became incontinent, what advice did your doctor give you on how to deal with it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:38 pm 

All the advice and other helps I got in most cases were worse then the problem. And on top of everything else I could wear allot of Diapers for what all those medical bills set me back and feel allot better as well ...........Sandy :)

Post subject: medical advice
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:02 pm 

"Oh,he'll outgrow it", said the doctor to my mother, almost sixty years ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:11 pm 

Good one Wesley!
My doctor told me when I first starting having problems I'd be surprised to know how many young people my age had a bladder issue. Well I didn't really meet any young people until about 20 years later when I just recently got to know Jane and My friends young adult Daughter also became incontinent. ..................................SANDY :)

Post subject: Doctor's advice
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:41 pm 

"Well, you seem to be managing ok" was my urologist's statement last time I saw him. This was after my December '07 trial of the Interstim device (unsuccessful), and spending about 7-9 months trying every medication in the book, only to have negative effects (and precious little benefit) from all of them.

The diagnosis of Neurogenic Bladder is certainly vague, isn't it? Anyway, we agreed to see each other in a year or so, but stop any more trials of treatment, as none seem successful. Full-time diapers at 53; but no different from how it's been the last 2 to 2 1/2 years!

Gimwet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:47 pm 

Hi Gimwet was reading your post on neurogenic bladder and was wondering what what the signs were? I have bph which causes urge incontinence with little sucess and being older just give up on doctors as they jump from one treatment to another.

Post subject: Symptoms
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:33 pm 

Hi Ron--

Mine began with gradually increasing urgency, along with the concerns that I would have "an accident" and be embarrassed by leakage. I'm active in working with people in my career, so this was an unpleasant prospect. I began using pull-up type protection for confidence, and as things progressed also saw urologists through my HMO (Kaiser Permanente at the time). Trials of Detrol and Oxybutnin, but no benefit and stomach pain were the outcome there. At least other problems were ruled out through tests, such as BPH (their first hunch) and Bladder Cancer (via Cystoscopy). As leakage day and night became more common, I also found over time that my skin was not happy with the Depend Adjustables, and I needed more protection anyway. I switched to cloth for night (and often day). Nowadays I tend to flood, so cloth and pants or a premium disposable such as Molicare Super Plus are a must.

I've shared my trials of meds and medical tests on the board before, so I won't repeat all that. In my case, all that the label of "neurogenic bladder" means is that something is wrong, likely caused by nerve connections to muscular control, but beyond that nothing can be done with current treatments. I'm less pre-occupied with fear of leaking that I used to be, and more focused on my life in general and dealing with other areas. I "change my diaper and get on with it", so to speak.

Gimwet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:32 pm 

Hi all,
I have been queitly reading and learning from all that you all have posted. I just this week had a follow-up with my uro from having the fill the bladder test a couple of months ago. He wasn't concerned because the test are close enough to normal and to him I am still a young man. He thinks some of my problems have been agervated by a 2.5 week hospital stay I had last October and to the fact that I am having spinal nerve blocks ever so often to control pain. I explained to him that I don't dare go with out protection because of the urges and every time I was my hands I can't stop it from coming out. The only thing he said was let give Detrol LA a try. He said it has helped others much older that had visble medical signs causing problems. He said the biggest side affect that I could have from it is that it would keep me from going and I would have to be cathed until the effects wore off. Since I have to get cathed when I have my spinal nerve blocks, he wasn't concerned about me having to deal with it if the meds acted up.

Is this normal for most uro and doctors just to want a quick drug fix? Do they not support the fact that wearing protection (diapers) is a real option or treatment? I am not one to want to take drugs unless I really really have to.

For give the long post. I haven't had anyone to talk to about this but after reading the post that most of you have done, I feel o.k. talking about it here.

You are all a great bunch and I thank you for all the support you have given and didn't even know it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:43 pm 

Hi K.T :D
My two cents says SCREW THE DRUGS! (and the doctors) it's not worth the side effects and money/hassle they will be. Wear the proper protection and get out and LIVE! I know it's hard but don't worry about what others might think of diapers. It gets easier for most of us as time goes by..............Sandy :)

Post subject: medications...
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:18 pm 

at first, I'd have NEVER agreed......maybe for about five years post incontinence.

but, experience with all the meds & drugs brought me to the same
conclusions as Sandy found...

the side effects are just too much, as is the routine of taking and
filling prescription meds, the costs, etc. been there.

but, we all have to find our own way and the BEST way for US...
not for others.

John.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next