www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: the need for assistance
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:14 pm 

As mentioned elsewhere, incontinence is only one of several medical problems I must manage, and it is not the most threatening. I am not alone here; I would guess that many of us, if not most of us, have several medical conditions in addition to incontinence. When these other conditions rear their ugly heads, incontinence management becomes impossible for me to do alone; I need assistance. I am proud of my independence; I struggle daily to maintain it. However, when my world begins spinning out of control; my legs refuse to work, and I cannot keep even a cup of bullion down, I need assistance. Is this baby sitting? Perhaps. I spent hours with physical therapists and occupational therapists teaching me how to wash and change safely, with minimal risk of a broken bone, and those sessions were useful, if embarrassing. I owe those folks more than I can repay. But I treasure my privacy, and my independence. I guess the issue here is my attitude towards that need, and towards those who assist me, whether family or hired caregivers. I guess my brain tumor has made this a priority issue for me; however, I think that many of us here must think about it also.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:07 am 

Patrick,
Like I said in the other post, my heart goes out to you. My faith in God has only gotten stronger with all I have went through in the past years. I will put you my prayer list. You are right, there is always something going on beside our incontinent issues.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:51 pm 

I've been right there too! My incontinence stems from a bad car wreck where I also pulverized three inches of my left leg (I almost lost the leg but didn't), and blew out almost all the ligaments in both knees.

The first few months were the hardest since I could hardly move, let alone change my own diaper, let alone make it to the bathroom. You have my sympathies this is a reoccurring problem for you.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:23 am 

I have added you to my prayer list too.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:50 am 

Thanks folks. Please forgive my self-pity.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:53 am 

Patric, Don't consider the need to talk self pity. We all need to have some reassurance once and a while. If we didn't we wouldn't be human. This community has helped me back on my feet several times. I see you, and all here as friends that understand and hope I can be the same for you.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:46 pm 

Patrick, it's definitely not self-pity. We all need to share or vent periodically. You have had it rough and have been inspired many of us by your attitude.

--John

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:42 pm 

Patrick, ISC isn't called a support center and a caring community for nothing! We're here for you always. btw, thanks again, Schoppy, for being here for all of us.

Wetters

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:16 am 

Again, thanks to all of you, especially Schoppy, for your support. I'll be going on vacation this summer; when I return, I'll have a neurologist appointment, at which I guess we'll decide whether this tumor needs to be removed.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:34 pm 

Sorry to hear of your struggle Patrick! GROUP HUG TIME!!!!!!

Marcus Aurelius