www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: progression
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:45 am 

I have a question for those suffering from incontinence for a while. Has you noticed a progression in your incontinence over time? Reason I ask is for the longest time if I knew if I needed to take my diaper off I could sit or stand up and drain for a few seconds and it would buy me 3-5 minutes with no leaking. Now as soon as I get it off and move to get a new one , I drip all over the floor. My wife seems to think it is because those muscle are not being used the same was anymore and that is why. Has any one else noticed this with themselves?

Post subject: Re: progression
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:29 pm 

Rope, your incontinence sounds somewhat different from mine. I have the kind of urge incontinence in which I become aware of my need to urinate suddenly and then have very little time until my bladder decides to empty itself. If i happen to be quite close to a toilet when the urge strikes, I can generally use the toilet. Otherwise, I have to rely on my diaper to catch the flood. Thus, provided that I make sure to empty my bladder completely before taking off my diaper, I have plenty of time to put on a new one before the next flood comes.

In contrast to my periodic floods, your description of your situation makes it sound as if you dribble more or less continually. If that is the case, have you described your symptoms and their progression to your doctor in some detail? More or less continual dribbling is a symptom of overflow incontinence, where the bladder fills up and is unable to empty itself. Since the bladder doesn't empty itself, the person dribbles continuously as the kidneys secrete more urine into the bladder. The condition, if that's what you have is serious because it causes kidney damage. Men with overflow incontinence often have some kind of blockage that needs to be looked after, e.g. an enlarged prostate. And many people with overflow incontinence need to drain their bladder via intermittent self catheterization. In other words, it sounds to me as if you need a new medical consultation.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:18 pm 

Thanks for the reply Inconinmiss,

I know my issue is not an overflow problem. That was one of the first things they checked when my symptoms began to get bad. Actually, that was the cue that helped them nail down a diagnosis. My bladder is always inflamed and it has caused stiffening of the bladder wall. In an effort to keep from wearing a diaper a asked about a catheter but by uro said first because of my age it would not be a good idea but even more important the stiffening of the muscle has affected the sphincter as well.
The think what has me upset is I could at least get a few minutes with out leaks to change or get from the bathroom to the bedroom to get dressed but i cant seem to do that as much any more.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:26 pm 

I have exactly what you have & I use a penile clamp during that short non protected time. No leaks on the floor since using that

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:12 pm 

Don,

Did you also experience the ability to get most out but later lose that too like what I described?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:53 am 
Admin

Thankfully, I have not noticed my issues getting worse, it seems to be stable, but still leaves me needing to wear. I would much rather prefer it to get better, but after amost 20 years, I am resolved that I have some funky plumbing issues going on, and get on with life. :) For you, the clamp for in between changes and short spans out of protection should really help you with dripping, worth a try for sure, and not too expensive to buy I don't think, but have never ussed one myself, Puffy

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:54 am 

Rope, I just saw this and thought I would comment. I have noticed recently that in several recent occurrences where, say I got out of the shower and had to pee again, and used the toilet before heading into the bedroom to get dressed, by the time I get into the bedroom 15 steps away, I am dripping on the floor before I can get my pad/pull-up/diaper/protection, whatever I am wearing that day on.....Its gotten a lot worse in the last couple months, that's what led me here to the forums to solicit advice from the experts who have been living with it for a lot longer!!