www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Car Crash
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:50 pm 

Hello everybody. I guess this is the right place for an explanation of how my problems started.

It happened a little over a year ago. Dad picked me up from cheer practice after school and we were headed home. I remember really needing to use the bathroom at the end of practice but the school building was locked up and the field house toilets are pretty old and disgusting. It's only a ten minute ride home so I decided to just wait. I was sitting up front on the passenger side in dad's car. We had just gone through an intersection when a man in a pickup ran the light and hit us.

I woke up in the hospital two days later. My legs were in casts and there were tubes and machines everywhere. The doctor came in and said a bunch of stuff about how lucky I was not to have been killed. My legs were both broken, my pelvis was fractured and the impact had ruptured my bladder. It was full so it popped like a balloon. I spent like a month in the hospital, they had a catheter in me the entire time while my bladder healed from the surgeries. The doctors said it had been torn up pretty badly but they were confident I would regain at least some control.

The first few days after being released were probably the worst. I still had a lot of drugs in my system for the pain and trying to hobble around on crutches was like uber difficult. I had so many accidents in bed those first two weeks that my parents had to throw out my mattress. That was when mom went out and got the cloth diapers. I spent about another month at home, a nurse came over and did my physical therapy every afternoon. That is the most pain I've ever felt in my life but I know it was necessary. My bladder control got a little better but it still was really bad.

Going back to school was tough, and I dreaded it a lot. It's a small private school, just 200ish students, so of course everyone knew about the crash by the time I got back. My friends and teachers were very supportive, which I was glad for. The doctors had me on a toileting schedule to go every hour whether I felt the need or not and I was wearing really thick pads in my underwear to catch leaks, but the first time I had a full on accident at school I thought I was going to die. I was standing in the lunch line and it hit me full force, I swear I have never had to pee that bad in my life. I was about to leave my tray and run for the bathrooms when it just started pouring out of me. I almost passed out. Thankfully my friends were with me and somehow managed to get me to the medical office.

I could go on and on about the weeks and months that followed, but I think you get the idea. My control during the daytime has improved some more since then and I've kept to the every hour schedule, but I still totally wet myself at least once a day. Part of me is hopeful that things will continue to get better, but a voice in the back of my mind is telling me I may have to learn to live with this.

Post subject: Re: Car Crash
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:12 am 

I hope time will make it better.With me I had lost all control and now I am a lot better.Mine started for a different reason but it has taken it about eighteen months but is getting better.Still do not know for sure what started my incontinence. But Being young and going through what you are is a lot ruffer than being like me and retired.I wish you the best and hope your friends support you as you deal with this.