www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:44 pm 
Admin

I bought the Urocare sock/sleeve that holds the bag on the leg, no straps, just like a sock, works better then straps by a mile, ever look into that? They are not cheap, $30-40 each, but I have 2 I alternate when I use the external system, and they are holding up very well. There are others out there on the market as well if you look around, the best option for a leg bag system, eliminates the straps and it is much more comfortable! Puffy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:44 pm 

Catheterkid

I wear my bag on my ankle I like it there but I do see your problem living in Florida.
We go to Orlando almost every year we love Disney World. When there I use a wheelchair so long pants and my bag on my ankle is my best option.

I have used the sports bag but they don’t hold enough and like you I was always emptying it.

Never heard of the anti flex valve being glued shut by urine, urine is almost pure water.
I have seen the valve sticking together if left wet and then dries I see that stuck together.

Coloplast Bags the valve is design a little different I never had a problem with them.

I would probably try using a Belly Bag but my doctor says, no he doesn’t want me to use them.

When I first started to use a Foley I had to go to the doctors for a change or if out of town I would go to the local ER.
Over two years ago my doctor wanted me to start changing my own catheter at home. He said I have less chance of infection that way. Next he had his nurse watch me change it myself and I was sent home with some supplies for the next change.
I was told to find a supplier get set up with them he would write the scripts as needed.
So far I am doing very well changing my own catheters no infections.
I change my catheter every three weeks after my IVIg therapy.

You said changing your catheter at home is pricy?
My insurance pays for catheter and trays I have a small copay.

Has your doctor ever mention a suprapubic catheter?

Everyone is different and each has his or her way of doing things but in the end all of us want is to keep dry without the embarrassment.

2lyle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:38 am 

Lyle,
I had a suprapubic cath for over a year after a surgery, it was ok, kinda limited me as to going in the water.
was happy when they removed it and went back to my regular foley. Now I can prety much do what I want
again. With my belly bag and a catheter under my swin suit, nobody knows.
I was on Experience Project this morning, seems like a lot of people have the same problem with the
valve sticking or blocking off when you are in a sitting position. We all need to contact Rusch and try
to get the valve changed to a round solid valve.
Trying To Make Things A Little Pleasant
Catheterkid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:59 am 

Catheterkid

I have a urethral Foley and I am told not to take a bath or go swimming I would suspect it would be the same for a suprapubic. I am allowed to take a shower.
I really cannot say anything about a suprapubic I ever had one so to comment on comfort is not possible.
I do know with a Foley I have so much more freedom than I ever had with conventional products. I was always worried about the bulk showing and traveling was a nightmare either you have to take your supplies or stop and buy them.

The valve kinking in the belly bag is not unique to Rush many manufactures use the same design and share the same problem.
Coloplast Bags is the only bag I have not had problems with. There valve is designed different it is much bigger.

The Belly Bag is a good idea and let you wear shorts but my doctor will net let me use them.
He feels pushing urine uphill into the bag will not let the bladder empty all the way can’t say I never used them.

Anyhow I use one bag for a week both day and night. I change to a new bag every week. This helps someone to keep a sterile system.

When I first started to use a Foley I had infection continually a nonstop of taking antibiotics. At that time I switch between day and night bags and cleaned bags out. I would get an infection once ended up in the hospital.
Doing what my doctor suggested I been infection free for three years.

I doubt Rusch will change their design unless so many people contacts them and make it overwhelming.

2lyle

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:22 pm 

I've had a supra-pubic for some years though I got rid of it a while ago due to leaks. I never was given any advice on bathing and swimming and at least did the latter with the catheter fitted. I used a valve on the end to save having a bag connected.

I've never heard anything said like it about a urethral catheter either so I don't know where the advice if coming from.

Here's an advice sheet from a London teaching Hospital.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7