www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:11 pm 

Hi Lyle
How are yhou doing hope all is well with you. Have you had any luck with your dr getting the duette catheter. I hope you get to try it I think you will like it. So far now after 6 mos has been wroking well for me.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:39 am 

Hi Catman

How are you doing it’s been a while.

I have been doing fairly well but cold. Our weather is turning fast to winter its cold out there.
Today I start my IV therapy so that shoots most of this week.

How often do you change your catheter?
I change mine every four but this week it will be five. I will change it after my IV therapy.

So far my doctor has not sent script for the Duette.
It is almost impossible to get into see a neurologist in our area. There are several different practices of Dr. ho specialized in urology but it can take several months to get into see one. I see my doctor next year that is about as good as it going to be.
But on the other hand if I have a problem I usually get in the same day.

When I get in to see him I will try then to see if he will give me a prescription for one.

I really would like to try a Duette. One advantage I see with two balloons it’s got to keep the catheter more secure inside the bladder. Another advantage the drain ports are between the balloons making it hard to suck in the wall of the bladder.

Yes I would like to try one.
I hope all is going well with you.
Why not send me e-mail through this board.

Your friend
Lyle

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:43 am 

Hi Lyle

I am doing good thanks. I have my foley changed every 5 weeks, I have gone as long as 6 weeeks but my Dr thinks that is too long. So far I have not had any problems on the Duettet. I hope you get a chance to try one and see how it is for you. It has started to cool down here in Fl as well not as cold as you are tho. Looks like this winter will be a cold one here in Fl but will have to wait and see. Last year there was no winter here it stayed warm all year long so see what happens this year.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:22 am 

Hi everyone, I'm new here.
I was reading your posts on the Duette catheter, It's wonderful.
I have been using them for the past 5 months continously and don't
think I will ever go back to a regular foley.
With the double ballon there is NO bladder irritation, and it is so comfortable
that you don't know that you have it in you.
I have not had a UTI which I had often ,since I started using them.
They are a bit pricey,but well worth it not having to put up with uti's.
Poiesis Medical knocked it out of the park with this one.
Catheterkid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:59 pm 
Admin

Welcome to the Forum Catheterkid, after all those years dealing with your issue, I am sure you have some valuable input to add to the group, feel free to share whatever you can in your vault of knowledge on incon issues, Puffy :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:18 pm 

catman25

Somehow I missed your last post in November I guess I should look more often.

Finally got my doctor to send script for Duette catheters and I have been using them for three months. They work as well as everything I read they are comfortable and seems to cause less irritation to the bladder.
So far I like them I do everything I want they don’t get in the way.

On the prescription it said I was to change my catheter every three weeks. This is OK by me I got it in time with my IV therapy I have every three weeks.
Every three weeks I receive Gamma Globulin. This is done by IV infusion it last four hours for a day four days. During the IV I cannot take a shower I have a needle in my chest I have a Med-A-Port I can’t get it wet. When the IV is over I remove the catheter take a long hot shower then insert a new clean catheter.

I do expect one of these days my doctor is going to say time for a suprapubic to be done. The only sores I get with the Duette is in the urethra and were it come out and it is nothing that bad.
He mentioned it a couple of times about a suprapubic and I told him OK but he wants to wait. I do think the catheter going direct into the bladder through the stomach would be much more comfortable.
Never the less the Duette is much more comfortable than most I tried and defiantly more comfortable than any other thing I used for incontinent so far and I tried just about everything.

Take care
catman25

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:19 pm 

Hi catheterkid welcom

There are several members here that use the Duette including myself.
I had a hard time getting my doctor to except the Duette with its untraditional design but finally he gave in.
I have been using the Duette now for three months and I do find it more comfortable than traditional Foley catheters.

The Duette causes less damage I don’t see very many blood clots in the bag or tubing. I also had a lot of infections with traditional catheters but had that was under control by using the Bard Silver Antibiotic coated catheters I been infection free for three years now.
The Duette seems to be doing as good of job keeping infections away so far so good.
I also agree the Duette is so comfortable it is hard to believe you are using an indwelling catheter.

I really agree Posy Medical came up with a better mouse trap with the Duette my hat is off to them.

There is not a whole lot of posting on the use of catheters many don’t know much about them or believe in all the myths that surrounds them.

One thing I do have to put in here no one should use a Foley catheter unless under a doctor supervision.

2lyle

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:11 am 

Hey Catman & Lyle !!!
Good to hear from my new Duette buddys.
Seems like your having great success as well with your new catheters.
They really make sence after watching the vedio and reading the lit.
It was about 6 months ago when I stumbled upon them on the web.
I imediatly called the company and talked to Frank, told him my situation,
and told him that would like to try them out. He sent me 2, a 14 & 16 Fr.
At the time they didn't have insertion kits , but I have plenty at home.
As soon as they got there, I just had to do a cath change from my Strata Si
to my Duette. Strata Si is a good cath as foley's go, but this is much better.
Question ??? Do you guys use the Belly Bag , and how much success have
you had with it? I love it but have trouble with the anti back flo valve sticking
closed and not allowing urin to flow causing a backup. I'm constantly messing
with it to keep uncloged. I've tried emailing Rusch about it, but no success.
I HATE LEG BAGS !!!!!
Look forward to hearing from you guys,
Catheterkid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:49 am 

Catheterkid

I have been using the Duette Foley catheter now for about six months and I find it to be the most comfortable Foley catheter I have used yet.

But my doctor will not let me use the Belly Bag I asked. He feels pushing urine up into the bag is not a good idea.

I use a Coloplast 1500ml day/night bag I don’t change bags from day to night just use the one for both. The bag is changed out every week for a new one this gives a lot less chance of infection to set in.

Disconnecting one bag for another is a fast way to get infection in the system. Remember anything that gets in the bag has a clear path into the bladder.

I have used the Belly Bag it was OK but I like the bag on my leg to me it is less visible and easier to manage.

I do have a friend who uses the belly bag he swears by it.
I guess we all are different in what we like to manage our problems.

The problem you are having with the Belly Bag is the anti reflux valve if kinked this is a command problem with the Belly Bag. When I used them it happened to me several times.
Look to where the catheter connects looking through the plastic there should be the anti reflux valve. All this valve is, is nothing but a flat tube like valve the urine passes through the flap closes and it can’t come back but they do leak.
Take a used bag and cut it open this will give you a good look at the valve.

The bags I use this valve is design a little different I have never had this happen with a Coloplast 1500ml Bag.

Always eager to learn from others stay in contact.

2lyle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:44 am 

Lyle,
I live in Florida, (I don't own a pair of long pants) to conseal a leg bag !! LOL !!!!
The problem that I find with my belly bag is I evidently have urin that is a little
more sticky than most and it seems to almost glue the port shut, just have to squeeze
and mess with it til it unclogs. I have used them for about 6 years and still think it's
the best option out there for people who are very active.
Do you wear your bag on your thigh or your ankel, both are most uncomfortable to me ???
I used to use a Uro Care sport bag that hangs sideway on your thigh but they don't hole
enough, I was constantly emptying it. I'll stick to my Belly Bag. Do you change your catheters
or does your Dr do it and how often. I do my one once a month, It's a little pricey, but better
than a UTI !!!
Catheterkid

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next