www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: new member info on DES
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:46 pm 

Does anybody have any info. on Des? I have been a lifelong bedwetter,and I have little daytime control my mother took DES to prevent miscarage..at that time DES was a wonder of science thought to give healthy babies, of course no body new about long term effects. I also have dylexia and ADD. I went to school in the early 50's so nothing was done for learning disabled children, my parents were told money was going to good students not "slow kids".. I always wore cloth diapers at night and plastic pants over my underwear which stoped spotting on my clothes, as got older I had to wear diapers 24/7, this works and I don't mind wearing diapers but I would like to know why. I think DES might have somithing to do with this

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:30 am 

Incon47,
Thanks for your first post and welcome to the forum.
I have never heard of that drug, DES. I've only been around since '54 so it was being used before my time. Does your doctor have any information on that drug? You may aslo try to "Google" it and see what information you can pull up on it. Good Luck! Again, thanks for your post!.........Paul Martin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:27 pm 

I haven't posted in some time but have been following all the posts. The question about DES is one I have looked into before. I to am a DES son, my mother took the drug back in the 40s. I found no connection between DES and incon.in all the research I've done. The drugs long term effects in females has been an increase in ovarian cancer, and in males a gender identification problem to some degree. That could be nothing to a slight feminization of the brain to transsexualism. I thought it could be connected to my BPH but again I found no connection. Having accepted the need to wear diapers 24/7 for my urge incon. I now lead a full and wonderful retirement, travelling as much as I can with my beautiful wife of 40 years. There are web sites to DES sons and daughters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:52 am 

I became incontinent as a result of MS which was diagnosed in 1983. I have spent most of the time since then in a wheelchair too.

Over the years I have used sheaths (external catheters inn the USA) as well a a supra-pubic catheter (SPC) a catheter inserted through the abdominal wall) as well as diapers (nappies in the UK) both disposable and washable. I thus have quite a bit of experience in these things.

I had my SPC taken out about 7 months ago as the hole was leaking as well as the urethra and this has resulted in me being more or less able to stay dry during the day, by emptying regularly but I am or course still wet at night or even during a nap.

I am happy to help others out if I can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:10 am 

Wheels.
Thanks for the post and welcome to the forum. We appreicate your comments and welcome any advise you can share. .....Paul Martin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:26 pm 

My mother also took DES and I am both bowel and urinary incontinent 24/7. My doctor feels that DES is the cause but has no hard evidence to support it.