www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:35 pm 

Hi All

I just wanted to throw this question out to the community especially those who have more knowledge about incontinence than I do.

My question is:- Are there are any links between Incontinence and Dyslexia?

Greenbank

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:56 pm 

To the extent that dyslexics have difficulty communicating their needs to caregivers, and reading and understanding what they need to know in order to manage their condition, I would imagine that there is a relationship.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:11 pm 

Interesting question. I'm not aware of an established link. I think it's quite possible, but maybe some other factors need to be present as well.

As to a similar correlation, Wikipedia states that kids with ADHD are 2.7 times more likely to wet the bed, and that intellectually-disabled people have a higher tendency toward bedwetting. There's a study indicating that intellectually-disabled children have a bedwetting rate that's almost 3 times higher than non-intellectually-disabled children (26.6% vs. 9.5%, respectively). However, not all bedwetters have ADHD, not all intellectually-disabled children wet their bed, and some non intellectually-disabled children do.

I think there's a chance that the kind of neurological short-circuiting that happens with dyslexia could cause incontinence as well, and also the stress of coping with dyslexia could trigger bedwetting episodes for people with a history.

W.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:07 am 

I am no expert, but I'd find it a bit far-fetched to link dyslexia with incontinence. Dyslexia comes in different forms and severities and most people with dyslexia are to my knowledge not incontinent. Of course dyslexia or other learning disabilities may be linked to other issues, such as intellectual disability or hindered development due to a childhood illness or malnourishment etc and hindered or abnormal development or permanent disability may be linked to incontinence. However, dyslexia is very common and usually manifests in people with normal intellect and physical health. I myself have problems with numbers, visuospatial cognition such as telling left from right, keeping orientation [I get lost easily] and motor skills (not so much today but I was a clumsy kid and normal things like operating lock and key or tying shoelaces, buttoning shirts, catching and throwing a ball, doing tasks that require dexterity and drawing symmetrical shapes was really hard.)

I still don't think that my bladder issues are related to that in any way: they are physical problems probably linked to nerves, a childhood illness and a hereditary disposition towards urinary tract problems. I would be highly skeptical of there being a distinct link between dyslexia and incontinence.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:00 am 

Well ... there's this:

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21487372

Minerva Pediatr. 2011 Apr;63(2):99-104.
Primary nocturnal enuresis and learning disability.
Esposito M1, Carotenuto M, Roccella M