www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How I became incontinent
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:42 pm 

Mine started about 7 years ago (I am 44 now), I had a crazy respiratory issue that led to pneumonia and landed me in the hospital for several days. Due to my condition, and having to retrieve a foreign object from my lung, several high-powered medications were used. The same afternoon that they did conscious sedation to remove the object from my lung I had my first urinary accident. I was terribly embarrassed, and didn't want to tell the nurse what had happened, but when I finally did, she was perfectly professional about it, and changed the bed. Several hours later it happened again, and I was horrified, it was not a drip, my whole bladder emptied at one time. Of course this was after shift-change, so I had to explain it to a second nurse. As before, she took it in stride and while changing the bed asked if I had any incontinence issues before. I said I didn't, and she said it was probably just a side effect the medication and it probably wont last. I was pleased to hear that, but it lasted... She said she could get me some protection to wear if I wanted, as it might make me more comfortable. I told her I would try anything to keep this from happening again. I didn't know what to expect when she came back in, but when I saw the diaper in her hand, I wanted to crawl under the bed. She offered to help me put it on, but I refused, and told her thanks, but I wasn't expecting that. Shortly after she left, I figured out how to put it on, and by morning I was glad that I did. The first year after that I met with several urologists who tried different medications with no real improvement, and several of them have all kinds of crazy side-effects. So I just wear protection all the time, and my issue does not affect my life at all. I was horribly embarrassed about having incontinence for the first several years, but now I have fully accepted it, and really don't mind it at all. So to anyone out here that has the same issues, just be yourself and don't be embarrassed about it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:33 pm 

Tentwelve,

Those circumstances are certainly interesting. I’m sorry to hear that your incontinence has persisted all this time. You’re in good company here, and I wanted to wish you a warm welcome. Many of us experienced issues gradually and sort of “eased into” wearing protection. It sounds like yours started off with a bang; though you seem to take it in stride. Feel free to vent here as you see fit, we all do here from time to time.