www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stroke at 35 yrs.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:02 pm 

I had a stroke at 35 yrs (now 41 yrs). Physical problems - Incontinence. Aphasia. Hearing process (slow). Slow reading. Blurred vision. Some dizziness (vertigo, unsteady, loss of balance). Recurs. Recovery was slow. Some mental recovery. Minimal physical recovery.

It's made it difficult to continue working in my old job. Listening and talking is mostly confusing. It takes time to process what others say and how to respond. My voice is fine. Actually perfect. My old job was a landscape architect. These days I mostly design. Tough to physically present drawings. I was a part-owned family landscape company for years. Now mostly design. Semi-retired.

Depression continues. I do isolate sometimes. Frustrated and irritated. Completely embarrassed by wearing diapers. Still. But I kind of get used to it. Great family. Few friends. Single (probably for ever). Life goes on.

Post subject: Re: Stroke at 35 yrs.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:43 pm 

Welcome to this forum. I'm sorry about your stroke and other ailments. Health problems can surprise us even at an early age. Some struggle from birth. I suppose it affects us most when it affects our careers. We all understand that frustration and the need to vent here. Vent away.

Try not to be embarrassed about wearing diapers. We've all been on a journey of acceptance here. Some accept faster than others. Sometimes spouses have a journey of acceptance of their own. Others here may still be on that journey. Self doubt and embarrassment are continuing struggles.

I would suggest seeing diapers as a solution to a problem rather than a life sentence. Think along the lines of "it's only a diaper". Nobody wants us to pee on their furniture, so diapers are the cure for that!

I've been continent for most of my life until recent (I'm nearly retired). 20+ years of type-2 diabetes finally gave me urinary urgent bladder incontinence. But I try to look on the bright side and be thankful for the years I had. Most of us are probably headed for diaper wearing at some point. So I guess I'm an early achiever. :lol:

Acceptance of your situation is going to take time. Try not to be depressed about it. As you say "life goes on". Stay close to your friends and family, especially in times of need. I'm sure they would be more than willing to help. Learning to manage your IC will allow you more confidence in getting out. Give it time. By all means, reach out here. There are many members here that can help.

Post subject: Re: Stroke at 35 yrs.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:38 pm 

Although I have not been forced to endure a stroke, I do have a brain tumor, a brain injury, and a bi-lateral inner ear disease. So, I do have a limited understanding and empathy for your situation. Because I walk like a drunk, most folks are distracted and miss my slightly bulging middle. My physicians have repeatedly warned me that I could collapse at any moment when I am awake and upright. When I mention double incontinence, they smile, pat me on my head and send me home. The challenges of daily living with incontinence and brain issues can be depressing, which makes venting here, among folks who understand, invaluable for me. Welcome, and I hope we can be of service.