www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:13 am 

I was working as a nude model at a local art school. I had never previously posed for a sculpture class but had some experience with drawing classes. What I didn't realise was that the sitting position for a sculpture class would be much more dangerous than for a drawing class. I remember taking my clothes off and putting them in a chaotic cupboard in the corner of the studio. The instructor helped me up to a podium about two feet high.

Sitting on a high stool with my feet on the cross-supports about 6 inches off the floor. My head must have been at least seven feet above the concrete floor. After about 50 minutes I had a short spell of back ache. I did not think much about it. It was mild for January. Despite having been still for 50 minutes, I did not feel cold. Suddenly I began to have tunnel vision. Blackness closed in. Three or four seconds later I passed out. I know nothing of what happened after that until I woke up lying on the floor with two ambulance me looking over me before pinching my leg and asking whether I could feel anything. I couldn't. I felt nothing as I broke my neck at C4/5. I also had an injury above my right eye. I guess I must have knocked my head back sharply as I fell. My spinal injury left me with paralysis and very limited sensation below my chest, severe spasticity and double incontinence.

Last edited by Barry on Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:25 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:38 pm 

I hope that you can receive a good workers' compensation package. The current spate of sex discrimination and harassment charges in the USA does make me fearful that, when I need care, I could make myself vulnerable to legal trouble. This is an added burden for those of us who need this embarrassing assistance.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:11 am 

Thanks for your concern Patrick. Yes I have go a care package but I have often thought that nothing could properly compensate by bringing back a decent life.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:14 am 

What caused the fall Barry? My heart goes out to you. Total dependence must be demoralizing.

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:44 am 

So sorry to hear about your accident. My injury is L2 L3 so only my legs affected and continence of course. How are you managing your bladder and bowel. Take care. 4wheeldave.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:19 pm 

Hopefully the OP is still doing well, and managing in spite of his physical health considerations.

Marcus Aurelius

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:53 pm 

Indeed Porkchop.. I would be interested to find out why he blacked out.

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II