Describe how you become incontinent.
Post a reply

Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:44 pm

I became a bedwetter since I started taking psychiatric medications. I go into such a deep sleep that my bladder and brain dont speak to each other I guess. Its new to me and i am fortunate that my wife is supportive of me. But truth be told I am starting to have problems holding it in the day time also. Urgency and control are issues that are new but no accidents yet. I have IBS as well and that is a whole other beast. I can become fecally incontinent if I cannot get to a bathroom in time and have soiled myself many times since I was a teen. I would average about one to two bowel accidents a month. I dont know if that is normal and I am only 27?! :shock: I rely on immodium A LOT. :cry:

Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:20 pm

If you are having bowel troubles it may be IBS... which is pretty nasty.

You should talk to your doctor.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:51 pm

I leak due to a side effect of my psychiatric medication. It effects my nervous system and causes me to have urge incontinence. I am a disabled vet and have type 1 Bipolar Disorder.
Last edited by Don on Sun May 23, 2010 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:25 pm

I don't really know "why" I have to deal with this latest issue. I have been having problems for less than a year, but long enough in my opinion. I am blind and have numerious other health problems (including, diabeties insipidus, which competicates the incontence issue. basically I am "leaking" constently but when I try to go I can't relax. I'm only 18 year old female. this came along side a paralysed leg that the doctors haven't been able to figure out what's wrong. so anyway as of right now that is how I became incontinent.

Started having bedwetting "problems"

Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:25 pm

about 1972 (I was about 25), after years of testing my neurologist sent me to the Univ of Oregon. In 1983 they determined that I had MS. I'm 63½ now so it's been a while!!
Have had the double vision and loss of feeling at times, my feet tingle and some areas don't have much feeling either.

How I became incontinent...

Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:52 am

Am in my mid 50s.

Was a bed wetter until age 10.

30 plus years ago underwent two back surgeries.

6 years ago had my prostate removed because of cancer.

For the first 2 years after the prostate surgery, had only episodic incontinence.

Then started wetting the bed and have gotten progressively more incontinent.

Am now in disposable diapers 24/7.

Occasionally I try to fluid restrict and take meds to keep dry, but the side effects and effort required are too much.

Plus, the feeling of security and confidence the briefs give allow me to concentrate on my job without the distraction of "wet pants fear".

New to the forum, this is my first post.

Thanks very much for being here...prior to joining, felt weak for "being in diapers".

Now I realize it's OK.

-rvtmd

Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:05 am

Hi rvtmd!

Thanks for your first post and welcome to the forum! That's one great thing about this forum is you don't have to be a member to view the post listed here. I'm glad you joined and are now able to join in the conversations.

Feel free to coment and ask questions as you surf our forum. .....Paul Martin

Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:33 am

Hi rvtmd
Welcome to the Forum. Sounds like you may have a grip on your condition. Like so many others you found out that meds are more problems then they are worth. Hey your not weak because of a Diaper! Diapers don't define a person. If someone thinks that way they aren't worth knowing. ....................................Sandy :)

Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:25 pm

Thanks Sandy and Paul for the kind words.

This forum service has been very helpful to me.

Have already learned a lot about the mechanics of diapers, rash control and odor abatement via shaving "down there"...something that never occurred to me.

Most helpful in this transitional phase of life.

-rvtmd

Re: I dont have a CLUE

Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:03 pm

sociologygeek wrote:Honestly.. i have no idea what causes my incontinece problem.. and i still don't know... for the longest time i didnt do anything about it..just treated it as normal..only this year did i start wearing protection for it at all.. and BOY am i glad that i decided to do so! sure, its expensive..but for the most part my underwear stays dry.. does not smell like urine every day and no spots on the underwear.. somehow..i thought it was normal for a guy to have a spot of urine on his underwear every day.. never thought it was a problem...unitil i logged on to incon chat..and someone suggested i wear protection..and i did..life is much better now! this problem i think has been going on a number of years..and i still don't know the cause

I agree with your comments regarding underwear smelling of urine everyday. Since using the protection 24/7, my pants no longer smell!

I don't know what started my incontinence but when I was at school, I remember wetting myself, maybe once or twice a week. My parents weren't very supportive, unfortunately, but then I stopped when I was a teenager.

Then a few years ago I noticed that during the day, my pants would be wet and smell of urine. Sometimes the wetness was a few dribbles, other days it would be soaked. Now, the wetting has become more frequent and more in volume. I seem to notice that when menstruating. that I tend to wet more (including some nights). I don't know if this is a normal thing in urinary incontinence?

Occassionally, I do have bowel incontinence and I had my first episode in June. I do suffer from diarrhoea from time to time and when this happens it is frequent. Not sure if this is also linked to incontinence.
Post a reply