www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:38 am 
Admin

How did everyone become incontinent?

Post subject: disabled icon
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:39 pm 

I was born having CP(cerebral palsy) and as a result have been incontinent. I have mixed urge/neurogenic incon.Of course this wasn`t realised `til toilet training age. Thru therapy I have gained some daytime control but not a night. I manage it with ``just-in -case``disp in the day and cloth plus PP /bedpad at night.

Post subject: how
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:55 pm 

Hi my story started with mild bph or enlarged prostate with urge and dribbling then moved to accidents more so at night some daytime also.I do have some control but if I don't make it to a restroom then accidents will happen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:57 am 

My incontinence never was pin pointed to specific thing, but I have to believe mine was from nerve damage. It especially got worse after a bike accedent. I got a seperated shouder from my spill, but my occasional incontinece seemed to go permanant after that. Doctors seemed to scratch their head. .....................Paul Martin

Post subject: Accident
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:04 am 
Mine was from a head on car accident that caused spinal damage and a ruptured bladder. It left me with no control of either.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:57 am 

Jamie,
Thanks for your post! I appreciate you posting a message even as a guest. We have a lot of wonderful members to rely on for support or questions anyone may have on their incontinence.
There must be a tremendous amount of people out there who became incontinent from your type of accident or even by a simple head injury. Don't be afraid to post again! ..................Paul Martin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:29 pm 

Hi all--

I was the victi....err, recipient of 2 back surgeries in 1979 and 1981, related to a ruptured disc at L5/S1. No bladder difficulties resulted. In fall of 2001, I was suddenly taken ill with Diabetes; symptoms of unquenchable thirst, frequent, urgent urination, and all the other typical problems. I first utilized disposable underwear during that time, but as the blood glucose came under control (initially with oral meds), I no longer needed that protection. My diabetes progressed unusually rapidly to insulin depencency, despite no family history or overweight (unusual--and my body produces no insulin now). 2 and a half to 3 years ago I started experiencing frequency and often severe urgency, and began using the underwear again. Overnight leakage began within that period as well, and my skin wasn't reacting well to Depend Adjustable underwear 24/7. Danger of accidents became constant along with nightly wetting. I experimented with many, many disposable products, and with cloth (preferred for skin comfort). Actually, I'm still, after all this time, involved in trying out products.

I have seen several Urologists, 2 being over the last year, and have endured all the tests. I have tried all the meds (a variety of negative side-effects, and precious little symptom reduction in return) and even a trial last December of the interstim implant system (not helpful enough during the trial to implant the system). This leaves me diapered 24/7, and still without answers. My primary urologist doesn't think that either the back injury or the diabetes are the culprit(s), but the tests show clearly what I experience daily---unpredictability. Not a happy picture, really....but I continue to be determined to avoid allowing incontinence to prevent me from participating in my career or any other activities.

Gimwet

Post subject: Life long incon
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:01 am 

It was tough growing up in the late forties, early fifties and expecting to become toilet trained "any day now". Went to school in diapers, needless to say.

Wasn't much known in those days about what was to be diagosed later as lack of nerve developement probably associated with premature birth.

JoeK

Post subject: Origin of incon
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:45 pm 

My incontinence developed as the result of an unexpected side effect of surgery when I was 14 years old. We discovered the hard way that I have an inherited bleeding disorder similar to hemophilia. After the surgery, I bled big time and ended up having over 40 pints of blood before they finally managed to get it stopped. Then I developed a major infection that involved the urinary system in a major way. Three months later, I eventually got out of the hospital. But I have had an overactive bladder and urge incontinence ever since. After the trauma of becoming incontinent as a young teenager wore off, I learned to accept the situation as a challenge and have managed to lead a normal, active life despite the inconvenience of needing protection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:17 am 

For me it was Prostate cancer. The operation to remove the prostate was complicated by my bleeding out due to heart drugs (anticoagulants) which should have been out of my system but were not. Left me totaly incontinent for over two years and now is a combinded urge and stress incontinence. Been in diapers 24/7 for over 4 years. Although very frustrating I have learned to deal with it (mostly). Papa

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next