www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:50 pm 

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum. I am 32, am on-the-go and work full time. I am also significantly visually impaired.

As a child I took growth hormones via injection to the leg. I was overseen by exceptional endocronologists. At the time I had great support from my parents as well.

On some of the growth hormones I had an extremely overactive bladder. My parents managed what I ate and how much water I drank. I had only a few accidents a year at night and avoided diaper. I can still remember some of the accidents because I would wake up as I started wetting the bed.

Now as an adult it seems the overactive bladder is back again, especially at night and sometimes during the day. When I wake up at night I have to pee so bad I can't make it across the hall to the bathroom I will see my primary care doctor next week to kick off some tests and get a referral to a urologist if needed. I just had a physical three months ago and everything checked out, including multiple panels of blood work.

My wife is very supportive along with close friends and family. I have also talked to two coworkers who have been very supportive as well. I am still running almost every day and going about business as usual.

To manage things until I see my doctor, I wear Depend briefs with tabs at night and Depend Real Fit underwear at work or when I know it might be a while before I can get to a bathroom.

I am thankful for what I have. Looking around on the Internet, it is a bit frightening that people leave their spouses or partners over incontinence issues. Moreover, I empathize with young adults dealing with this issue and trying to find a partner. I think that's absurd because people accept all kinds of current societal issues. People will do ALS ice bucket challenges or wear blindfolds to try to relate to visual impairment. You'd better believe no one would wear a diaper and urinate in it to relate to someone struggling with incontinence (nor would I expect someone to). I can't imagine if this happened to me before being married...would I have found a partner?

I mentioned the incontinence problems I had as a child to my now-wife and that I take frequent bathroom breaks as an adult because of how I was trained as I dealt with childhood incontinence issues. She was accepting at that point in time and understood that my parents told me I could potentially face issues again later in life due to the effects of growth hormones. We certainly didn't expect issues in my 30s, but looking back on things my wife recalled a couple of road trips where I nearly had accidents, and even asked her to pull the car over on the highway (in my late 20s). At the time we really didn't think anything of it.

I am optimistic that my doctors will have solutions for me going forward.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:37 pm 

Hello, runnersteve, and welcome to the forum. The folks here are very friendly and supportive, and have a wealth of insight and information which they are happy to share. There are no dumb questions. The Diaper Primer is a very useful resource as well, so be sure to check it out. You've come to a very good place to address incontinence concerns.

I'm sorry to hear of your issues, but I'm happy to know that you are taking steps to get to the bottom of it and that your wife has been understanding. Bedwetting can restart at any time during a person's lifetime, years or even decades after a child outgrows it. It's not unusual, and stress is a known trigger. I, too, have daytime urge incontinence and night wetting.

I'm glad (and more than a little surprised) that Depend products work for you, especially overnight, but they're a lot less expensive than the premium brands, so that's helpful if they're adequate.

W.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:10 am 

Steverunner,
Welcome to the forum, like wetter Im surprised that depend product work for you. They are poor at best product. Welcome again and have a great day.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:17 am 

Welcome RunnerSteve!

Thanks for sharing your incontinence situation with us. We all learn from each other.

Sorry about your recent difficulties, but glad you are seeing your doctor. Good luck.

--John

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:55 pm 

Welcome to our little slice of the interwebs!! Don't forget to pick up your super secret decoder ring and spy glass at the door and Wetters will teach you our special handshake! :)

Marcus Aurelius

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:25 pm 

I also had bedwetting issues as a child, and again now as an adult. Started back up shortly after my 30th birthday.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:22 pm 

welcome to the group Steve. I too was helped with the products you are using, but ended up changing to other brands which worked for me. A lot of great support here and glad you have a support network for you.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:13 pm 

Thanks, everyone, for all your support! Just thought I'd follow up.

Things got worse last weekend because I sprained my ankle pretty good while running a 5K. I had a lot more accidents because I just couldn't move fast enough. Then things started looking up!

I saw my doctor and it appears a UTI is playing into my situation. After two days of antibiotics my frequency has significantly decreased, and the daytime dribbling is mostly gone. I am still being referred to an endocrinologist and urologist because I feel my situation is odd, and past pituitary gland issues could resurface. I think we have ruled out diabetes (metabolic panel, urinalysis) which is also good.

However, my sudden urge to go still remains...just less frequent. I apparently have some warning and have made the toilet consistently over the last couple of days. It seems to get me the most when I move from sitting to standing...that urge is so strong.

I'm still struggling to make it to the bathroom when I first wake up in the morning, and if it continues I will switch to a premium brand diaper (I've seen a lot of good suggestions here). At this point I can at least stand up but just can't make it to the toilet. I have decreased my food and fluid intake later at night which has also helped.

Again, thanks for all your support. There has been progress this week.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:54 am 

good to hear some things have improved, steve.
i totally hear you on the "just cant get to the bathroom" due to injury.
i had surgery on my leg may 16th and am still recovering (in a boot and on crutches). if i have my boot off and have the urge to go i cant make it by the time i get it back on.
my doctor says i have oab and has me on a medication but its not helping.
i hope you get some positive results soon!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:08 am 

I've been there too. Actually I started out with a long leg cast then eventually upgraded to the boot. My doctor told me my bladder problems wasn't really urge incontinence, but actually just a case of "functional incontinence". Meaning I couldn't get to the bathroom in time because the cast/boot was slowing me down. He told me it would go away once my leg healed enough. Boy was he wrong.