www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 3:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: new to being incontinent
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:27 pm 

hey all.
i had surgery last month on my leg (i broke it in 4 places) and right afterward i was having trouble getting to the bathroom on time and its just gotten worse from there.
i now have to wear a diaper 24/7 because i just start going without any warning.
it got to the point where i went to the er yesterday because i just couldnt handle it and had to make sure i didnt have a UTI or something (i dont).
the doctors were pretty cool there and sent me home with some diapers and i made an appointment with a urologist, but the earliest i could get an appointment for was march 12th.
i had to get more diapers today because i used all the ones that they gave me at the er and it was really embarassing. i got attends with the plastic backing because the cloth ones just leak on me.

anyway, thats enough. im just frustrated and embarassed to be wearing diapers at 37.
thought id post to get some support.

thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:35 pm 

Welcome to the group justej. One thing to remember is you are not alone. There are a lot of good advice in the forums. To break your leg in four places sounds like you had a bad accident. Hope things get better for you.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:36 am 

Hi justej

Don't be embarrassed I am the same age as you and wear diapers 24/7 you are not alone. I order my diapers online and this helps. Incontinents is a medical condition and I do wish it had a less of a stigma attached. You have allready made a great leap in joining this community good on you. I too hated wearing diapers however I reached a point that I just don't care now. To be honest wearing diapers has meant I have my life back. I can go to the same places as everyone else. This community is great and I have found nothing but comfort and has helped me through dark times.

take care

Greenbank

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:02 am 

Welcome Justej

You will not find a better group of people any were else for offering greate support and advice, wearing 24/7 won't take long to get use to. I have only been wearing a short time my self started with pull ups and am now in Abena M2's for day time and Dry 24/7 for night time.

Find a good supplier better quality diapers, the store bought ie a Depends are really not that good or worth the money you pay a bit more for Apena or Dry 24/7 brands but the quality and absorbency is worth the cost difference. If you have heavy flooding then the higher capacity Abena M4 might be the way to go for day time use.

Abenas sizing is s2 for small M2 for medium and L2 for Large, request samples for you to try for proper fitting. There are lots of good quality brands and checking reviews here and asking for reconditions here will help you a lot.

Having Diapers you can trust to have the absorbency and proper leak guards will make the transition to having to ware and use protection easier. I have learned to trust my protection and no longer freak out if I start to surge at home or while out and about. Trusting your protection choice is the first big step and understanding you are not alone with this issue.

Remember it's better to have more absorbency protection then less even if you change evey time you have an issue it makes accepting and copeing easier.

Again welcome and never be afraid to ask any questions here help is only a post away

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:31 am 

thanks for all the support everyone.
thankfully, everyone in my life has been supportive so far (roomate, friends, parents, doctors).
i havent told a lot of people of course, but those who i have told are the ones closest to me and parents and doctors.
i had to use the last of my money to buy the attends so i cant buy new diapers until next month when i get paid.
ill definitely check out the abena. are there places where i can get samples in the meantime?
my primary care doctor tried to get me a prescription for diapers, but my insurance doesnt cover them.
when i went to get the attends yesterday, i had to take a cab home because there was no way i was going on the bus and have people see me with them (and my neighbor helped me carry them upstairs which was mortifying). i cant wait to be able to order them online.
the idea of wearing them is getting easier because right now i hardly go out because of my leg, but when i start going out i dont know.....
thanks again everyone.