www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 3:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Crept up on me!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:52 am 

As I outlined in a previous post I have a condition that means the message to go to the loo does not allways reach the brain on time and it becomes a mad rush to find and reach the loo and can result in accidents and near misses. I have had this for years however I never thought of it as being incontinent until recently. I always nievly assumed that incontinents was to do with the bladder itself how wrong was I. Having the label incontinent does not fill me with joy however the label has meant that I can move on and draw a line in the sand. On the plus side I have found this place and the advice (primer) and support from others has been great so thank you again.

Post subject: Re: Crept up on me!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:47 pm 

With the exception of a major life changing event or accident I am sure it creeps up on most of us. I can say for me it snuck up on me and seems to keep getting worse each year. This coming Friday I am having my initial appointment with a new primary doctor and we will be bringing it up and go from there. We will see what happens.

"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise." -
Gore Vidal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:57 pm 
Admin

Good luck on your appointment, hope it goes ok.

Schoppy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:20 pm 

msshendo wrote:
With the exception of a major life changing event or accident I am sure it creeps up on most of us. I can say for me it snuck up on me and seems to keep getting worse each year. This coming Friday I am having my initial appointment with a new primary doctor and we will be bringing it up and go from there. We will see what happens.

All the best hope all goes ok!

Greenbank

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:03 pm 

I've had a feeling that I would be incontinent throughout my life. I took naps in school (I know, awful!) and a lot of the time I would wake up with a slight urge to go, almost as if I'd leaked a little. As far as I know, I never had an accident from that, but I was still pretty surprised when I did have my first accident. I was working as a secretary when I started to leak a small amount into my clothes. I wasn't going to be caught wetting myself so I just got some pull ups. That week I had a full blown accident, I was mortified.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:37 am 

Alaina,

Yup. That sounds like creaping up on you a bit. I'm sorry that happend to you. I'm sorry it happened to any of us. Glad you are here getting the support you need.

"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise." -
Gore Vidal

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:13 pm 
Yup, crept up on me too with more frequent dribbling after I peed as well as not quite being able to stop small leaks when I had to go. Finally got so bothersome that I called an incontinence supply company and asked for some advice, particularly on avoiding having to get up five to seven times a night to pee, then finding it hard to get back to sleep. The principal owner of the company couldn't have been more understanding to my predicament. Short of it is that she started me using diapers at night and absorbent pads during the day. To the question: I did not fess up to bring partially incontinent for over two years and as a result felt embarrassed. My wife was understanding, thankfully! Just a week ago, I looked in the mirror and said out loud "I am incontinent." Somehow, I turned a corner and since then have told my kids who all have their own families, and they've accepted it, one saying "Hey, Dad, no big deal!" I even confided in a a couple of close friends and their attitudinal response was 'Yeah, well?..."

I'm glad I've been allowed (just today) to join this forum and interact with many of you.

Thanks for being here,

JAYTEE

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:34 am 

JAYTEE wrote:
Yup, crept up on me too with more frequent dribbling after I peed as well as not quite being able to stop small leaks when I had to go. Finally got so bothersome that I called an incontinence supply company and asked for some advice, particularly on avoiding having to get up five to seven times a night to pee, then finding it hard to get back to sleep. The principal owner of the company couldn't have been more understanding to my predicament. Short of it is that she started me using diapers at night and absorbent pads during the day. To the question: I did not fess up to bring partially incontinent for over two years and as a result felt embarrassed. My wife was understanding, thankfully! Just a week ago, I looked in the mirror and said out loud "I am incontinent." Somehow, I turned a corner and since then have told my kids who all have their own families, and they've accepted it, one saying "Hey, Dad, no big deal!" I even confided in a a couple of close friends and their attitudinal response was 'Yeah, well?..."

I'm glad I've been allowed (just today) to join this forum and interact with many of you.

Thanks for being here,

JAYTEE

Welcome to the community I only recently joined myself and could not be more happy with the warmth and support here.

Greenbank

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:47 pm 

Welcome Jaytee,

I can relate to what you are saying. Reaching the point where I was willing to accept that I was bowel incontinent and had to wear diapers was a difficult significant moment. However, once past that point things became easier as far as stress and the motional aspect is concerned.

Finding this group has been extremely helpful for me. Don't forget to browse through the older messages in the archive when you have the time. There is a plethora of helpful information there.

--John

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:19 pm 

JAYTEE, add my welcome.

I have Marfan syndrome, a genetic disease involving connective tissue. Basically, folks with Marfan watch their body parts wear out early. Marfan folks display such a wide range of symptoms that, for most of us, years go by during which doctors dismiss our difficulties as caused by viruses. My doctors were exasperated with the growing list of symptoms I brought them, and called me a malingerer. Because of Marfan, the weight of my body collapsed the discs in my lower spine, causing sciatica, which is disablingly painful, and incontinence. When Marfan was finally diagnosed, I went from being a malingerer to being an interesting patient. I guess you could say that my incontinence was dictated the moment I was born, although it came on so gradually that I had become somewhat skilled in managing it by the time I went to a urologist. But, much like sciatica, incontinence for me has been painful.